Sagging driver's door

Old 09-18-10, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sagging driver's door

Howdy!! On my '95 Crown Vic, the driver's door sags to the point of , having to lift the door while closing it sometimes. I replaced the door hinge pins today, what a P.I.T.A. that was and it still has that issue. The hinge bolts are very tight, not sure what other possible cause there might be for this. It would be nice to fix it so the interior light doesn't stay on constantly. have no idea where the sensor is for that. It isn't like you can keep it turned off such as in every other vehicle I have driven. Thank you much in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-10, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Bushings maybe? Do Fords have 'em? Pins don't wear so much..bushings do.

Old 09-18-10, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A quick easy fix is to put a block of wood under the door at the hinge side and gently try to close the door. This often adjusts the door enough so it will close properly. If the bushings are bad, it will only be a temporary fix

Old 09-18-10, 03:56 PM
By bushing, do you mean the copper in the hinges? One set I replaced, the set was still fine. This is the only door with that problem which is rather surprising considering how heavy the doors are.

Old 09-18-10, 04:07 PM
Dome lamp switch is in the Latch.., ...

Does it just SAg, or is there Play in the hinge if you lift it up. Either The Hinges are junk, or the door is adjusted too low.

Old 09-18-10, 06:00 PM
Replace the hinge. With normal use (and over the years), the holes in the hinge that the hinge pin fits through becomes elongated and oval shaped. When this happens the hinge pin moves around in the holes it fits through, and the result is a sagging door.

Old 09-19-10, 07:33 AM
ford and the damn dome light switch.
try spraying the latch with wd40 the switch maybe stuck.

the door sagging, ford uses bushings. i would just replace the entire hinge with a jy one. fortuantly lots in jy and they are common on many and many years and marquis.

Old 09-19-10, 09:30 AM
The door is fixed!! The bushings were bad so I changed them as well as the pins. The problem was that someone tried to align the door before I bought it with bad pins and bushings. A friend who knows a lot more about cars than me looked at it and realigned the door so it now closes like it is supposed to. As payment, I am going to help him put the cover on his pool later today.

Old 09-19-10, 03:07 PM
(Quote) the door is fixed

Really glad to hear to it. Iím happy to hear that were able to help you.

(Quote)The bushings were bad so I changed them as well as the pins.

Sorry, but feel I must tell you, that you changed the bushings in hinges that are worn out. Bushings are only as good as the holes they fit into. Simply a matter of a short time before the door starts sagging again.I posted the correct answer and repair for the sagging door problem.

Simply scroll back and read it.

Operative words are?

Elongated hinge pin holes.

Oval shaped hinge pin holes.

Tell me what it is you donít understand about installing new hinges, and I will help you.

(Quote) A friend who knows a lot more about cars than me looked at it and realigned the door so it now closes like it is supposed to.

You need to find new friends

(Quote) As payment I am going to help him put the cover on his pool later today.

Sorry, but clearly sounds like to me you got ripped off.

To permanently fix this problem the hinge must be changed!

Old 09-19-10, 03:28 PM
Hinge pin holes are still CIRCLES!! NOT ELONGATED!! Upper set of bushings was okay, but changed them anyway, the lower ones half gone.