Add a third row bench seat 96 Yukon

Old 09-22-10, 10:25 PM
Add a third row bench seat 96 Yukon

Is it safe and feasible to add a third row to my Yukon. GMC has one model larger that has a third row, yet I was hoping I could add one. It would be more difficult to enter, yet is possible. More than anything is the safety of the passengers and we are referring to young teens and older. No little ones in that area. Any advise is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-10, 12:37 AM
In a word, no. If you need more seats, consider buying an extended version with factory installed seats, or another make/model that is designed and built to haul more people.

While there maybe space in your current model to shoe horn in an extra seat or two, as you already mentioned, safety is a critical deal breaker. Correct mounting hardware, reinforced anchor floor points for seats, correct seat belt and shoulder harness postions, and also adequate anchor points for these come to mind. In addition access in and out is always a safety concern, as well as distance from the seat in front.

Driveway modifications affecting safety are probably not legal as well, and if they are they shouldn't be, and in a worst case scenario this could open you up to considerable legal exposure beyond all the other pain, suffering and emotional distress asociated with a wreck.

Manufacturers test all seating and belt restraint systems to adequately ensure that all complies with the regulations, and provides the best safety potential to the passengers that they can engineer into the design.

Old 09-23-10, 01:24 AM
equinox - thank you for that information. My questions was, is this a viable opinion? It use proper mounting brackets, reinforcing areas of concern, all necessary parts, the entrance is the same as the larger vehicle. I have some car smarts, and my main concern was the stability of the cargo floor and gas tank position. Are you able to add anything further? If not, thank you again.

Old 09-23-10, 02:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is feasible, but you have to factor in safety. Passengers sitting in that seat are going to be closer to the rear of the truck. In the event of a rear end crash that would put the passengers in harms way. Not just from the crash, but from the possibility of broken (flying) glass asw well.

Old 09-23-10, 11:12 AM
Ase Master - thanks, that is an important factor and safety is differently the most important thing. So I will strap this concept. Thanks again for all the input I received. I know I can trust you all to give me firm good advise.!!!

Old 09-23-10, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
chilly.az.girl,

Youíre welcome. My pleasure. If in the future you buy (or acquire) a truck (year, make and model) doesnít matter, that hasnít got a third seat, and you want a step by step walk through for installing a third seat, just drop me a line.

Semper Fidelis
Sam