2007 kia spectra front brake question

Old 09-25-10, 09:00 AM
2007 kia spectra front brake question

Do I need the brake piston wind-back tool to compress the brake pistons on the front calipers??

I think the rear requires the tool, but I don't know about the front.

Trying not to get stuck without proper tools.

Also recommendations for replacment pads?
Semi-metallic? ceramic?? thermo-quiet? I don't go cheap on brakes but just don't know which ones to get.

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-10, 09:11 AM
it's called C-clamp and costs around $8 in hardware stores. use used brake pad, placed against caliper piston, as a base plate for clamp center screw. you need a big one. mine are # 6. also, use coat hanger to fashion a hook to secure caliper to strut whilst doing brake job.
you MUST lubricate all points of brake pads attachment and caliper guides with brake grease. MUST. and check for free play after done. if caliper is not sliding back and for, it's a re-do. not optional.
have some brake fluid handy just in case.
semi mets are quiet, but shad a lot of black dust.
ceramics stop better, but have tendency to squeak.
have no experience with thermo-quiet, did not even know they exist. but will check 'm out at some point.
you shouldn't be going on anything cheap for your car. folks wisdom is just that - WISDOM. so, you always get what you paid for and there's always reason it costs what it costs.
gas and oil, and filters, and plugs, and wires - blood and food for your car. you are what you eat, your car is what you put in.
sorry for philosophical regression.

Old 09-25-10, 09:18 AM
I also use worn out brake pads to shove the pistons back in my cars. A piece of hardwood flooring also works well. It's longer so you can get more leverage.

Old 09-25-10, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For brake pads and rotors the only names to go with are:

EBC
Raybestos
Bembro

At the very least rotors should be turned. If warped? Cannot be turned and must be replaced.

Which pads to use?

Semi metallic
Ceramic
Low metallic (NAO)
Non asbestos organic

All have advantages and disadvantages. Click on the links below to learn more.

EBC Brakes - Brakes for Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks and SUV

Raybestos Brakes - Home

Brembo - Brake systems

Old 09-25-10, 04:04 PM
Thanx for the help.
Driver's side front sqeaks when braking. Am thinking of refinishing the rotors and putting a set of quality pads on both sides.

Other than that no other issues that I can see.

Old 09-25-10, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
cbuddy2005,

(Quote) Driver's side front sqeaks when braking. Am thinking of refinishing the rotors and putting a set of quality pads on both sides.

Iím sorry, but it seems like you missed it the first time. For your benefit and convenience here it is one more time. Please let us know if there is anything here that you donít understand, or are having difficulty with. We are here to help you and answer all your questions.

Thank You
Sam

For brake pads and rotors the only names to go with are:

EBC
Raybestos
Bembro

At the very least rotors should be turned. If warped? Cannot be turned and must be replaced.

Which pads to use?

Semi metallic
Ceramic
Low metallic (NAO)
Non asbestos organic

All have advantages and disadvantages. Click on the links below to learn more.

EBC Brakes - Brakes for Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks and SUV

Raybestos Brakes - Home

Brembo - Brake systems

Old 09-26-10, 05:25 AM
There are many good brake pads on the market. To name a few: Pagid, Brembo, Hawk, Mintex, Porterfield, Performance Friction just to name a few so I would not limit myself to what was dogmatically recommended. Any pad is adequate for stopping a car once. Where the difference comes in is how many times you can do that in a row without destroying the pad. There are also dust issues. Repeated severe braking does not happen with street driving unless you are towing a trailer going down a mountainside.