When do you replace your spark plug wires for preventive maintenance?

Old 09-25-10, 12:06 PM
When do you replace your spark plug wires for preventive maintenance?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6. How often do you guys replace your spark plug wires? My owner's manual and Chilton's manual make no mention of intervals for replacing, just testing or checking for signs of wear.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-10, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am too cheap. I only replace stuff when I see that it needs to be. I don't buy into half the stuff they say on ads made by the companies selling their products.

Old 09-25-10, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the newer vehicles with the 100k plus plugs, I replace the wires along with the plugs. On the older vehicles, I'll replace them when they look suspect.

Old 09-25-10, 02:01 PM
Ignition cables

The first check is visual. Obliviously a split or melted area on an ignition cable means the cable is defective and must be changed.

No splits or melts?

Ok then:

The ignition cables in your Ranger are “RF” suppression wires.

In other words, by design they are meant to suppress the ignition noise that frequently transmits through the radio.

If your sound system is “OE”, and you’re NOT running any additional:

Power amps,
Sub woofer amps
Or an equalizer

And you are NOT getting ignition noise through the radio, then your ignition cables are most likely in good condition.

Notice I said; “Most likely in good condition”.

The way to confirm an ignition cables core integrity is to check it’s resistance (ohms) with a meter. There is no real set value. Generally speaking .06 ohms is acceptable. If you check all the cables and all check out at .06 ohms then all the cables are good. On the other hand, if the resistance of one, two, or more wires are off the scale and differ than the .06 standard, those wires are defective.

Info on spark plugs to follow. Check back in a few hours.

Old 09-25-10, 03:25 PM
ok, thanks for your responses.

The spark plug wires look fine visually. They have 36,000 miles on them

ASE master, I am going to send you another private question through your profile

Old 09-25-10, 03:36 PM
(Quote) ASE master, I am going to send you another private question through your profile.

Don't bother. Won't respond to it. Reason is other readers and forum users won't benefit from answer. We're here to help all and not just one.

Spark Plugs,

One of my students wrote this article. When I couldn’t find a single mistake or anything to edit I didn’t know what to say or do, so I gave him an A + + + + + + + + + + + +.

Makes a teacher proud.

What more can an instructor ask for, than no mistakes or nothing to edit?

Great reading.

Enjoy.

Click Below.

How to know when to replace spark plugs - by Keith Hamburger - Helium

Old 09-25-10, 04:15 PM
bluesbreaker,

Update,

Meant no disrespect, and wasn’t trying to be rude.

Easily get 500 auto repair e-mails a day.

With this (and other forums) add about another 340.

Impossible to respond to all.

Try to answer as many as possible.

Again this is a “Do it yourself” forum.

Our goal here is to help all.

Many readers and users here who don’t ask questions, but just log on to read our answers.

Answering your questions in a “PM” (personal message) simply wouldn’t be fair to those folks.

Nothing personal.

Just try to understand.

Thank you.

Best Regards
Sam

Old 09-25-10, 04:27 PM
No problem, Sam. Getting that many private questions would be irritating. I will post on forum

Old 09-25-10, 08:54 PM
replace wires. buy into it, don't buy into it - they do not perform "like new" at 36 000 miles. wires are told to last 30-35 000 miles. that ur engine starts and car moves, does not mean they are still performing at their initial capacity. same goes for plugs. plugs MAKE SPARK. spark eats out metal off discharge surfaces, continuously increasing gap. hence, spark plugs are slowly but steadily eating themselves out of the initial proper gap. that's why they continuously search and introduce new metals, ones that are claimed to be more "lightening resistant".

btw, read well 100 000 miles warranty on them spark plugs. they are warranted for craftsmanship and breakage for that period. i just bought set of iridium tipped ac delcos for my truck, and read that warranty out of curiosity. nowhere did it say that their PERFORMANCE is guaranteed for same mileage.
you need PERFORMANCE, not if they LOOK OK.

here's another btw. on one of the Topgear episodes, they had to beat Stig's time on the track in some French minivan. so, they did all kinds of silly mods, and they could not. they had that minivan dyno-d and it was way underperfoming on original bhp. May took it to the shop, and spent night with it, doing nothing but REGULAR TUNE UP AND MAINTENANCE. including spark plugs and wires. got 50 BHP BACK.

Old 09-26-10, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER;1772173The way to confirm an ignition cables [COLOR="red"
core integrity [/COLOR]is to check it’s resistance (ohms) with a meter. There is no real set value. Generally speaking .06 ohms is acceptable. If you check all the cables and all check out at .06 ohms then all the cables are good. On the other hand, if the resistance of one, two, or more wires are off the scale and differ than the .06 standard, those wires are defective.
Sure there is not a typo about the .06 ohms? That would be way less than one ohm resistance - meaning, almost no resistance. The wires should have into low thousands ohms, I think. I tested 2 cars this morning had had to set to 20,000 ohms range scale to get it to say 4.7 on one car and 9.6, on that range scale. 200 range scale did not register, and neither did the 2,000 range scale.

Old 09-26-10, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
replace wires. buy into it, don't buy into it - they do not perform "like new" at 36 000 miles.
What I would do, would be to test my gas mileage with the old wires, and then retest the gas mileage with the new wires, under same conditions, if I were to just change wires, to find out if I got an improvement.

Old 09-26-10, 12:04 PM
ok, thanks for your responses

Old 09-26-10, 12:56 PM
I do (have it done) routine maintenance when it seems logical and my local mechanic may say you do not need that occasionally. I use synthetic oil and change at 6,000 to 10,000 miles depending on the calender and what type of driving I did recently. My cars are a 1999 Jimmy (4.3L) and a 2000 blazer (4.3L).

I had my plugs, wires, etc. changed at 110,000 miles because it seemed right, but still ran well. I also drained the transmission and installed new filter. When I picked up the car my mechanic said he put in a new fuel filter since it was probably dirty after 110,000 miles. It did run noticeably better and miles was also improved. - Sure beats being cheap and being stranded. I now have 150,000 miles and will do the same in about 50,000-60,000 miles.

My wife's Blazer is a different story because of her driving routes and habits, so I did the same on hers at 85,000 miles and even she noticed the difference.

Maintenance if you do it yourself is cheap in the end or if you have an honest, reasonable mechanic near you (2 blocks away). Much cheaper than car payments. If you are going through a chain or a dealer you can automatically expect much higher rates.

When I want an oil change (Mobil 1), my mechanic said he does not stock it so go to KMart for big jug just as I do for my Corvette. I just pay for the labor no parts mark-up.

Dick