Intermmittent "Click" When Braking

Old 09-26-10, 03:54 PM
Intermmittent "Click" When Braking

2000 Taurus LX 3.0 Vulcan engine, 149K

Experiencing a "click" intermittently on braking. Usually occurs one time per driving session, especially after driving in reverse. Click can be sensed through brake pedal as well as audibly. Occurs at end of braking and seems to be inertia related. Something clearly is slipping ever so minutely backwards and forwards. The question is what is causing it? Can it be solved by simply tightening a bolt?

Please ask for more specifics if you need them.

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-10, 04:45 PM
Vulcan engine, huh...

Usually occurs one time per driving session, especially after driving in reverse.

brake pads reset themselves on the caliper, when you change direction of rotor rotation. this makes an audible click. my CR-V was real bad about this - drove 75 000 miles before pads needed to be changed with no issues.
if you can, you may want to inspect the pads guides and general condition. maybe try moving pads up-down on guides, just to eliminate possible excessive play.

Old 09-27-10, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
allenzachary,

Hi,

I just addressed and helped another forum user resolve the same issue you are inquiring about.

For some unknown reason, and as simple as this issue is (to resolve), it seems to have many folks mystified and confused?

In this forum and section, please go to ďRattle sound with new brake padsĒ

For complete information.

If after reading the entire thread, if there is anything you donít understand, or find to complicated to understand, please let us know, as we are here to help and guide you.

Thank You
Best Regards
Sam

Old 09-27-10, 06:24 PM
I'll check the pads to see if there's any movement.

The problem developed only in the last couple of days. It feels as if it's more than pads, as the click occurs from both sides simultaneously. Is there anything else it could be?

I've owned the car since 122K miles. I bought it from a Department of Transportation auction, it had been perfectly maintained and had nearly new tires and brakes.

There is some vibration on braking now that wasn't there when I got the car. I attribute that to the pads and rotors wearing. Could that be the cause of the clicking.

Oh, why the "Vulcan, huh? " comment? Is there something I should know? I preferred a Duratech, but the state didn't buy many of those and I only paid $2K.

Old 09-27-10, 08:10 PM
allenzachary,

(Quote) I'll check the pads to see if there's any movement.

Not a pad movement issue. Honestly speaking there is no such thing. If the pads are moving inside the caliper then are worn far beyond worn.

(Question) Is there anything else it could be?

Yes. If you read the thread I recommended, you would have seen that itís warped rotors.

(Quote) it had been perfectly maintained and had nearly new tires and brakes.

Ok, but have the rotors ever been changed? For that matter how about the rear brakes? Have the shoes ever been changed, and the drums cut?

(Question) There is some vibration on braking now that wasn't there when I got the car. I attribute that to the pads and rotors wearing. Could that be the cause of the clicking.

Pads worn = yes

Rotors worn = No such thing. Either a rotor can be re-surfaced or it canít because itís warped.

Rotors warped? = YES

Old 09-28-10, 03:39 AM
Alright, the vibration on braking is because the rotors are worn. That makes sense.

What I still don't get is what is causing the "click" intermittently at the last moment when I brake. It only happens once per driving cycle (usually after backing up) and happens simultaneously from both sides. I only get the click from the front.

As I said it seems that something is shifting with inertia. I imagine it is something that reaches across the car, maybe the tie rod? I can't see how warped rotors are causing the click. The vibrations may have loosened something, so warped rotors are the indirect cause, but what is moving/slipping/shifting to make the click happen?

Old 09-28-10, 04:33 AM
allenzachary,

Just a couple of things off the top of my head. Lossen all the lug nuts on both front wheels, and then torque them down to spec.

Lossen the bolts holding both calipers and torque them down to spec.

Are you sure the clicking is not due to a cv joint issue?

Old 09-28-10, 04:45 AM
I recently had an issue with a broken caliper bolt, but my mechanic found it and replaced the bolt. The mechanic I use is spot on, but expensive, so I try to keep visits to him at a minimum. I'd imagine he torqued all of the bolts to spec. Likely the same with the lug nuts. Still, I'll loosen and re-tighten them.

CV joints make more sense as they reach across the vehicle. Still I don't get any clicking or clunks when I turn, so I'd discount those as well.

150K mile service is coming soon. I will do an oil change, tune up, transmission flush and the front brakes (replace pads and rotors). About a year ago I had the rear drum off to replace the hubs and the shoes had plenty of meat and even wear, so I doubt I'll have to do the those.

I'm hoping to solve this annoying click when I have it all apart.

I think the big clue is that it's on both sides and I feel it in the pedal. Whatever the issue, it would have to affect both sides equally.

Old 09-28-10, 09:47 AM
allenzachary,

(Quote) I'd imagine he torqued all of the bolts to spec. Likely the same with the lug nuts.

Check with him just to be sure he torqued them down, and simply didnít just tighten them

(Quote) Still, I'll loosen and re-tighten them.

Again, donít just tighten them. Torque them down.

(Quote) CV joints make more sense as they reach across the vehicle. Still I don't get any clicking or clunks when I turn, so I'd discount those as well.

Sorry. My mistake. Left out the word inner. Clicking sounds when turning is typical with outer cv joints. When inner cv joints fail they can:

Click
Hum
And create a vibration.

(Quote) 150K mile service is coming soon. I will do an oil change, tune up, transmission flush

Donít flush the transmission. Your car may never forward again. Just do a standard fluid and filter screen change.

Rule out the mentioned basics first (proper torquing) of bolts. if clicking remains turn your attention to a caliper or rotor issue. I say this because you stated you feel it in the brake pedal.

Old 09-28-10, 10:21 AM
Good stuff. Will check all of that.

Thanks.

az
(not flushing)

Old 09-28-10, 01:57 PM
You're welcome. Keep us updated.

(Quote) az (not flushing)

Wrong buddy.

NEVER FLUSH!!!

Old 09-28-10, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by allenzachary View Post
Alright, the vibration on braking is because the rotors are worn. That makes sense.

What I still don't get is what is causing the "click" intermittently at the last moment when I brake. It only happens once per driving cycle (usually after backing up) and happens simultaneously from both sides. I only get the click from the front.

cuz when you go in reverse, your pads settle in the direction rotor follows; then, they stay there, untill they are dragged back into the forward most position, by rotor, and most friction between pads and rotor is when you come to a halt

As I said it seems that something is shifting with inertia. I imagine it is something that reaches across the car, maybe the tie rod? I can't see how warped rotors are causing the click. The vibrations may have loosened something, so warped rotors are the indirect cause, but what is moving/slipping/shifting to make the click happen?
pads are designed to move on pad guides on bracket; there's allowed clearance between pads and bracket so that they slide side to side, closing on a rotor; it is possible that you either had slightly larger clearance from the factory on them pads, now it worn out some, and they move more; also, there may be retaining clips that slide and click.
you have disk brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear? if yes, that's why click is coming from the front end only.
btw, you sure it's not your trannie shifting into low gear right before stop? and in reverse? metal boxes, like cars, can be great sound conductors and very deceiving on its origin.

Old 09-28-10, 05:58 PM
ASE, go to dealership, sit in any new CR-V, and go froward, then in reverse. hear the click? it's pads resetting themselves on the guides. and i have experienced this not just on that car, but on several more.
Honda pads have spring loaded clips that compress under pressure from pads. Please, no need to be so categorical about things that do exist and are harmless, but do not fall into your experience. I bought my V when she had 78 miles on ticker, and pads clicked from day one. it's not "definitely not pads", it's "i have never heard of pads resetting themselves". Hamlet said once: there are many things, my friend Horacio, that our wise many never dreamed of.
respects.

Old 09-28-10, 07:54 PM
allen, sorry, buddy, i just really got my mind stuck on pads.
here's a suggestion. check your engine mounts. engine mounts can easily make a noise at stop, as engine moves back and for. inertia.

Search this Thread