Sunroof Stuck Open. 2001 Expedition

Old 09-26-10, 06:03 PM
Sunroof Stuck Open. 2001 Expedition

The power sunroof on my Expedition is stuck open. When I push the switch to close it comes forward maybe an inch and stops. When I push the button the other way it backs up again. I don't have a clue on this one guys. Help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 01:13 PM
Anybody? Ideas on how to close it manually (and never open again)? Baring other advice I'm going to take headliner out (can't be that complicated right?) and see if the motor has a manual override. I don't see anything blocking the tracks or causing the glass to bind, but of course its not a particularly easy place to investigate.

Old 09-28-10, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Not my area of expertise but wonder if something has gotten in the way and is blocking the path of the panel

Old 09-28-10, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
jjjedlic,

Check the track for dirt or debris that could be stopping the motor. If no dirt or debris, and nothing is blocking the track, you have to separate the roof from the regulator to manually close the roof. To do that pull the headliner. Once the headliner is down, the separation is self explanatory. Once closed reconnect the regulator to the roof, and disable power to keep the roof permanently shut (or temporally) shut until you resolve the failure to close issue.

Motor (armature) failures are quite common. Ford knows about it, but refuses to submit a TSB, much less a recall. A phone call to "Fords" customer service division (to vent and complain) would be a good idea.

Old 09-29-10, 05:59 AM
I went back and looked again and couldn't find anything blocking the tracks. The thing is it's not like the motor keeps working and the panel just doesn't move. It moves short distance and then stops like its hit some kind of limit switch or something. I'm really just fishing at this point and hoping for a solution before it rains!!! Really don't want to put $1000 into this 180,000 vehicle at this point for something like this. So I'll venture into new territory and pull the headliner off.....any tips on this maneuver?

Sounding like the problems I had with a past vehicle power windows...they all went out at some point....Dodge knew they were bad, but wasn't much interested in helping outside of the warranty. I will talk to local FORD dealer shop and then give Ford a call....probably won't get anywhere, but might make me feel better!!!