steering noise at parking lot speed

Old 09-28-10, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
steering noise at parking lot speed

Hello! My '95 Crown Vic has some rubbing type squeaks coming form it when I turn the wheel left or right at parking lot speed. The fluid is where it should be and the serpentine belt is tight and looks okay (at least what little I can see of it). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also what could it be if I only feel vibration in the car, but mostly in the steering wheel only at speed over 50mph. Thank you much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 05:40 PM
out of balance tires for shake in steering; tire out of round; worn out suspension elements.

rubbing noise turning - you have struts in the front? they will squeak. it's a Ford, right? does it have zerks in ball joints and tie rod ends? if not, they will squeak. I fixed mine on my Ranger by drilling holes, installing zerks - on the truck - and lubing them up till the grease came out of rubber boots.
so, 1st thing to do - jackstand front control arms on both sides, put key in the lock, so that steering wheel does not lock, and turn wheels thissa way and thatta way. rubber boots gone or busted? rusted knuckles inside, will make squeak in parts described.

Old 09-29-10, 08:38 AM
they are known for the 'sealed' tie rod ends squeaking.
also - upper& lower ball joints ( take a flash lite & look at the 'boots' on the ball joints-if all crumbled away-it needs joints)

Old 09-29-10, 12:23 PM
Tires are getting changed soon. Found a full size spare at a foreclosed house I was cleaning out, no idea what it came from but it fits my car, so the best tire is going there. Waiting for the coupon and bonus check from my wholesale club so I can get BF Goodrich's for $100 out of pocket. Will check out the other things. Thank you much

Old 09-29-10, 03:04 PM
You donít state if itís a CVPI or P71?

If yes, have you ruled out failing ďU- Joints"?

While it may seem like a steering issue:

Note, that in the business of "Auto Mechanics and Repair"

Anything is possible

Old 09-29-10, 05:51 PM
2 Lower ball joints...........2 upper ball joints...............2 stabilizer links................ALMOST as certain as death and taxes

Old 09-29-10, 08:34 PM
yep..

and with all that, they quit installing zerks into all those joints. them SOBs. designed obsolence.

well, like i said - a little bit of drilling in confined places on my Ranger allowed me to install zerks into all of those joints and pump 'm up with good ol grease. of course, that was on a truck. my lower driver side ball joint was SCREAMING out loud with every turn. may not be so easily done on a pass car.

Old 09-30-10, 10:03 AM
It isn't police package if that is what you were asking ASE.
What are zerks?

The tires are legal, but not much more than that. I do not feel comfortable with them for the winter, with the coupon and bonus checks aligning right, I figured I might as well get the tires done.

Old 09-30-10, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
zerks are the push on grease fittings that used to be standard on steering, suspension, and driveline parts. Push on as in push the grease gun on, the fittings thread into the part.

Old 09-30-10, 10:23 AM
Zerks = Grease fittings. You drill and tap a hole in the housing, screw the fitting in, then you can put a grease gun on and fill the joint with grease.

Old 09-30-10, 11:11 AM
Adding zerks for greasing has been around a long time. I remember drilling and adding them to my brand new 1971 Toyota Corolla the first week I bought it. Back then even Toyota was trying to get away with only the rubber donuts that soon tore apart and spilled out the so called life time grease. Had that car 8 years and greased it every other oil change. The suspension lasted longer than the body.

Old 10-01-10, 02:48 PM
the problem is hopefully the lower ball joint on the driver's side. Snapped it today luckily on a back road instead of on the highway. Friend told me he can do it in 20 min.

Took 2 hours and two flatbeds to tow it home. First one was an AAA tow truck. He actually made the tire bow out by trying to load it onto the flatbed from the rear of the car. Getting it onto the second flatbed the right way was fun. the driver used a floor jack to help it onto the bed.

Old 10-01-10, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
yep..

and with all that, they quit installing zerks into all those joints. them SOBs. designed obsolence.

well, like i said - a little bit of drilling in confined places on my Ranger allowed me to install zerks into all of those joints and pump 'm up with good ol grease. of course, that was on a truck. my lower driver side ball joint was SCREAMING out loud with every turn. may not be so easily done on a pass car.
Only problem there is by the time the joint is "audible" 2 things are true.........It's probably wiped out beyond greasing .........and the boot that retains the grease is probably long AWOL

Old 10-02-10, 07:31 PM
Front end noise

I can see you guys havent been properly educated on greaseless joints. The grease fitting with its check ball acts like a pump and when in wet conditions will fill the joint with water so the ones without fittings will last longer,,,,,,,,,that is the story that was put out some of the car companys when this first started. Dont you feel smarter?

Old 10-03-10, 09:30 AM
Car still vibrates. I have a drag link that is going south. Ordered it today, hopefully comes in the closer part of the 3-7 days. Then comes the 4 wheel alignment and then tires. Probably spending more on this project than I paid for the car.