Turn Signals Don't work on 2003 Chev Malibu

Old 10-01-10, 06:48 AM
Turn Signals Don't work on 2003 Chev Malibu

Last month my hazards and turn signals worked intermittently, and after doing some research found out that it was a common problem, and an easy fix so I replaced the hazard flasher module on the dash and I haven't had a problem since. Now this morning when I turned the blinkers on the light in the dash came on and just stayed on, both right and left. When I got into work I checked everything out and all the blinkers lights on the outside would come on and just stay on too. So I know it's not a burnt bulb. I'm thinking its either the turn signal & wiper assembly on the column or I was told there is a flasher in the fuse panel that makes them flash. What do you think? What's usually the solution for this? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-10, 07:05 AM
There was a GM notice and recall offer sent out to owners a few years ago on the Malibu, Alero, and Grand Am including 2003 in regards to the multifunction switch, where problems can occurr due to contaminated grease that was used that can bridge the contact points of the switch. I would contact a Chevy dealer about your problem first because it may very well be the same problem around the switch and could still be covered under this special warranty. The notice that was sent did not ask owners to bring their cars in to a dealer unless they had turn signal problems in the future. It might at least be worth checking this out first.

Old 10-01-10, 07:10 AM
I had read about the recall, unfortunately it only went to 2002 and only under 100,000 mi. Mine currently has 154,000. Thanks though!

Old 10-01-10, 07:47 AM
Just wondering if the 4-way flasher mode is working. The flasher relay for turns is also all part of that same switch module you replaced on the dash. It could be that the replacement you installed is also now gone bad. Can happen.

Did you call the dealer with your VIN number anyway as 2003 models were also affected, and I think the optional recall was for 150k and 10 years. Some dealers are more willing than others to bend the rules also when mileage is close.

Old 10-01-10, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hansueter,

Changing the combination switch (aka multi- function switch) is most likely. However don’t change it until you confirm what I’m about to say. [/I]

Although your Malibu is a 2003 it could still be covered under the recall. Your Malibu could be a late production 2002, and because of the late production date it’s just being classified as a 2003. In reality there’s a good change your Malibu is a 2002. To confirm this, you have to check your “VIN” with a dealer to confirm the “VIN Breakpoints” below. If your “VIN” falls within the breakpoints below, your Malibu qualifies for the recall.

2002 Chevrolet Malibu VIN breakpoints:

2M500001 thru 2M729093

Old 10-01-10, 09:51 AM
Oooh, bummer, not even close. Looks like I may be taking care of this one on my own... Yeah it looks like the combination switch is going to be the cheaper of the two so we'll replace that and see what happens... Thanks for your help!

Old 10-01-10, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hansueter,

Click on the link below. The part number listed should be the correct part number for the switch in your Malibu. Call the toll free number at the top of the page to confirm.

10359580 - GM SWITCH