Installing HEI

Old 10-01-10, 01:07 PM
Installing HEI

Installing HEI on 350 Chevy C10. Timing Marks on 0 degrees. Number 1 cylinder on TDC compression stroke. Both valves closed. HEI vaccuum facing to frong of engine. Problem- Engine does not start. What's the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-10, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you ruled out the basics first?

Blown fuses, circuit breakers, or fusible links?
Is spark reaching all the plugs?
Is fuel reaching all the plugs?
Is the “HEI system used?
If used was it working in the vehicle it came out of?
Is the “HEI” system new?
Is the “HEI” system aftermarket?
Is the “HEI” system meant for a “GM” vehicle?
Did you install it using installation instructions?

Click on the link below

HIGH ENERGY IGNITION (HEI) SYSTEM

Old 10-01-10, 04:58 PM
It be nice to know more about the story.

Was the truck running fine, with no starting issues, before you made the change?

What all did you have to do, in making the changeout?

Old 10-01-10, 06:07 PM
HEI vaccuum facing to frong of engine

That means NOTHING.......

Is the ROTOR lined up with the #1 TOWER on the CAP?????

iF I recall, a Chevy Distributor fits in 11 different ways.....

Google It...Im sure you will find Hundreds of installation instructions with pictures...

Old 10-02-10, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you might have the distributor in 180 out.

Old 10-04-10, 07:19 AM
Installing HEI

The engine was rebuilt about four years ago but it has not been used very much. The engine itself ran well. I decided to install the HEI to get a better spark. It is not 180 degrees off because I have tried that angle. I realize that the rotor position makes no difference as long as it is under number 1 piston compression stroke when it fires.

Whatever the position of the rotor, the timing marks have to be at 0 degees (in this case as per manual) and the number 1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke, right? If that is correct, then the timing chain should be okay. I don't want to take that out if I'm sure nothing is wrong with it. If something was wrong with it, the timing marks would not line up when number is TDC.

Old 10-04-10, 04:12 PM
But did you have the engine running good RIGHT before you put in the HEI?

Did you check to see if you have spark and gas?

Have you played a little bit with advancing the timing a little off from TDC?, as you have someone crank it?

Old 10-07-10, 07:35 AM
Yes, the engine was running very smooth. Yesterday I changed the resistence wire from the fuze box to the Bat. HEI. It still did not start. The original wire continued to the starter. I did not change that one. Should I? I have gas and spark. A cite on the internet said to change the resistence wire. I thought that was the problem but, alas, no. It still didn't start. I have tried everything suggested on these comments. The HEI conversion is that that diffucult. I've no idea what the problem might be. Stumpped.

Old 10-07-10, 01:34 PM
(Quote) Yesterday I changed the resistence wire from the fuze box to the Bat. HEI. It still did not start.

Hate to say this “Lorenzo”, but I must be honest with you. While, we’re all here to help and guide you, this issue would have been resolved a long time ago, if you had just taken a moment or two to answer the questions that (weeks later)continue to go un-answered.

Remember!!!!

We don’t have your vehicle or “HEI” in front of us. We can’t test it or troubleshoot it. Without your feedback (in the form of answers to our questions) How do expect us to help you resolve this issue?

Old 10-07-10, 03:45 PM
If you have spark and gas, and the motor ran prior to removing the original distributor.....

The distributor is installed "OUT OF TIME"...

The fact that the distributor produces a spark, means that power and grounds are acceptable....
You cannot..(Well...not likely) damage a timing chain by removing or installing a distributor

Pull it back out..... Pull the #1 plug out..(First plug on the drivers side!!!!) Have an assistant tap the ignition key until the cylinder "PUFFS"....then line up your marks...

Now for the "DIEZEL MAGIC" that the manual doesnt tell you....
With a flashlight, look into the distributor hole, and with a somewhat long flat blade screwdriver, twist the slot in the oil pump drive so it points to the drivers side corner of the engine.

Pick up the HEI distributor...Point the Rotor to 10 o'clock, with the vacuum advance facing to your left......Slide it down into the hole, and slowy rotate the rotor so that when it drops into position, the rotor ends up at 12 o'clock.

put the cap on, arrange your wires and try it..... Just one more thing..(I am Personally guilty of this one so here goes...) MAKE SURE THE HOLD DOWN IS IN PLACE AND SECURE WHEN YOU CRANK THE ENGINE......Not only will the distributor "Pop-OUT" , but the clamp provides the ground path for the electronics....."No Ground...No work...."

Old 10-08-10, 07:25 AM
Hei

I will do what you suggest this Sunday since I will have someone here to help me. Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-08-10, 09:46 AM
Lorenzo,

It's possible you missed the "HEI" troubleshooting link I originally posted. In an effort to help you further I'm posting it again below. Follow it exactly and post the results.

HIGH ENERGY IGNITION (HEI) SYSTEM

Old 10-11-10, 08:09 AM
Hei

Yesterday we tried everything suggested on this line of communication. The engine still did not start. I am suspecting the HEI I bought at the junk yard is somehow defective. I'm going to buy a new one but that will take about a month. So, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm hoping that the new HEI will solve the problem.

Old 10-12-10, 05:43 PM
How could it be in the ignition, if it is getting gas and spark, as claimed?