1995 Camry dimmer switch problem

Old 10-02-10, 09:39 PM
1995 Camry dimmer switch problem

The bright lights on my 95 Camry have a significant delay after dimmer switch goes to bright. Should the dimmer switch be replaced, and, if so, how do I do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We need more information. Your Camry my have a separate dimmer, or the dimmer could be built into the combination switch (aka multifunction switch). Changing both may be necessary.

Does your Camry have:

DRL’s (daytime running lights)?
4 or 6 cylinder?
Base model
DX
LE
SE
XLE
Wagon

Old 10-03-10, 11:33 AM
I think if it's a DX or even an LE with the 4cyl 2.2 the dimmer relay is under the hood if I remember.

Old 10-03-10, 02:12 PM
I use the switch setting that keeps the headlights on all the time when the car is service and the headlights shut off automatically when the driver's door is opened and the key is off. I assume that is daytime running lights.

The delay in the bright setting after operating the dimmer switch started with shorter intervals but has now increased to the 10-12 sec range.

The car is a Camry V6 LE.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-04-10, 06:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
beentherbefore,

Your description is that of daytime running lights, but the issue you’re describing has nothing to do with the “DRL” module or relay. You most likely will have to change the dimmer. The dimmer is part of the multifunction (aka combination) switch I mentioned earlier, but it can be changed separately. This means that replacing the entire combination switch is not necessary, but removing the combination switch to change the dimmer is. Before changing the dimmer you should rule out the possibility of a connection issue. To do that, lower the access panel under the steering wheel and jiggle around the wire harness that connects to the multi function switch. Have a second person watch the headlights while you giggle the harness around. If the delay you are describing stops, then you know you have a connection issue. The first link below are images of the dimmer for your Camry.
(Note: that there are two possibilities). The second link is how to remove the multifunction switch.

1995 Toyota Camry Dimmer Switch - 1995 Camry Dimmer Switch

| Repair Guides | Steering | Turn Signal (combination Switch) | AutoZone.com

Good Luck
Sam

Old 10-05-10, 07:45 AM
Thanks very much for the help, especially the Autozone how-to link. Hopefully, I'll find help there with advice for steering wheel removal also. I probably won't work on the switch problem until the coming weekend.

With the delay starting short and increasing now to the 10-12 second range, I tend to think that it's the switch rather than a loose connection.

Dennis