grease fittings on 07 grand marguis??

Old 10-04-10, 11:24 AM
Question grease fittings on 07 grand marguis??

I have a 2007 Merc. Grand Marguis with about 28,000 miles on it. Uses semi-synthetic oil. Was due for 5000 mile oil change in April but I don't drive very much(have only put 3000 miles on it since 1-21-2010,last oil change). Well, my question is, does my car have grease fittings. I live 75 miles south of Buffalo,NY and winter is coming and I think they should be greased(if there are any),doors/hinges lubed etc even though the oil doesn't need to be changed. Thank you much. Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Unlikely you have any grease fittings. Most new cars don't.

As to your oil change...do you drive enough (once a week or so) that the engine temp gets up to full operating temp and stays there for a while? Any highway driving (20 or 30 miles)?

Also...watch out for lubing the door hardware...some cars use that tension type hold open device that applying any lube to will make it not work.

Old 10-06-10, 02:27 PM
Smile thank you gunguy

yes I get i up to temp at least once a week. I am a girl but know about that stuff. Thankx for the info. Every 8 weeks I drive it 150 miles round trip to MD with cruise on 75 mph so it get good airing out than. Once in a while i take it out on back roads and "play"(big motor,lead foot)

Old 10-07-10, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello Debbie and welcome to the forum.

I have 66 years in this business. Don’t misinterpret that statement. I’m certainly not boasting, or saying that I’m better than anyone. We’re all on the same team here, and we all work together to help our readers and forum users. 21 of those 66 years were spent on “blueprinting”.

Google “blueprinting engines” for a meaning.

(Quote) Uses semi-synthetic oil. Was due for 5000 mile oil change in April.

Stop using semi-synthetic motor oil. By no means am I saying that you should switch to full synthetic motor oil. More important than the money you’re wasting by using a semi synthetic oil, is the possible engine damage you could be doing.

When it comes to oil and filter changes, ignore your owners manual, and ignore what others may tell you.Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles.

Use only 5W-20 Castrol (organic) motor oil, and use only “Purolator Pure One” oil filters.

(Question) Well, my question is, does my car have grease fittings.

It doesn’t.

However, grease fittings (aka zerks) can be added to any vehicle that doesn’t have them. Take your car to a professional who can understand and interpret the links below. It’s far easier than it appears.

Sam

grease fitting, zerk fitting, oil cup fitting, grease gun, hydraulic fitting

Tap Drill Sizes

Machinist Drill Sizes - ANSI Size Drills, ISO Metric Drill Sizes - Engineers Edge

Old 10-10-10, 09:46 PM
Question switching from semi-synthetic oil

Hi Sam, thankx for your wonderful knowledge. So tell me, why does the semi synthetic cause engine damage? Anything to help my car last longer,run better,look better and if possible, save me a few bucks here and there, I am all for. Even though my car is not under warranty, I still take it to the dealer for oil changes and of course the dealer would never say anything about changing oils. My husband and I are both fully capable of changing oil and filter if that is what is needed. Also, why don't manufacturers put grease fittings on vehicles anymore? And why would we want them put on if the manufacturer thinks the vehicle doesn't need them? Thank you so much. Debbie PS I will start changing every 3000 miles. You can bet on it!!!

Old 10-10-10, 10:23 PM
Anything to help my car last longer,run better,look better and if possible, save me a few bucks here and there, I am all for.
Here we go again...The Synthetic oil argument... Only this time I brought the Troops......Come on Sam....Lets go...

The only way to make an improvement, is if what you had to start with was INADEQUATE.....

Unless it is REQUIRED by the MFR, synthetic or "Blended" oil is a waste of time and money...which you could better spend on a fresh set of spark plugs, or a Car wash, or a Little TREE air freshner....and still have a few bucks left over for a cup of coffee while you admire your good running , nice looking , sweet smelling Car....Or even a Set of "Zerk fittings" for your Inadequately Lubed suspension parts....
The last one I agree with ASE explicitly....Zerks can be installed on ANYTHING...But leave it to a pro....Done incorrectly can drastically alter the integrity of the part, and leave it unuseable , or worse yet, UNSAFE.

Old 10-11-10, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
horseforever,

(Quote) Hi Sam, thankx for your wonderful knowledge.

My pleasure. You’re very welcome. Anytime.

(Question) So tell me, why does the semi synthetic cause engine damage?

Not just semi, but full synthetic as well. The answer is simple and oblivious. Both (semi and full synthetic oil create a false sense of security).

In other words

An individual using semi or full synthetic oil is under the impression that they can go 10 to 25 thousand miles between oil and filter changes. It’s not till serious engine damage is done that they realize the mistake they have made.

Want to run semi or full synthetic oil?
No problem.
Just change it and the filter every 3000 miles.

(Quote) My husband and I are both fully capable of changing oil and filter if that is what is needed.

Then do it. Follow what I said in my original post. The engine in your Crown Victoria will last longer.

(Question) Also, why don't manufacturers put grease fittings on vehicles anymore?

Because the suits in Detroit are not just happy selling you a piece of crap of the assembly line. The suits want to sell you as many parts as possible for that piece of crap as well.

It’s simple arithmetic.

If you never lubricate a part it wears faster.

If the part wears out faster you have to replace it sooner.

Most folks go back to the dealer for service.

The dealer is more than happy to sell you parts that never should have worn out in the first place, if they were properly lubricated.

That’s not to mention the labor that the dealer is going to charge you for changing those parts. Talk about taking your lungs out, and the shoving them where the sun doesn’t shine.

Old 10-12-10, 07:39 AM
I don't agree with your assessment against semi-synthetic oil. Ford Motor Company recommends semi-synthetic oil in their vehicles and is what their dealers install. Oil change intervals are now 7,500 miles for most vehicles and 10,000 miles for 2011 Ford products. Going to an all-dino oil is a huge step down from the semi-synthetic called for by the manufacturer and will not protect the engine adequately. It is a huge disservice to recommend AGAINST the manufacturer's recommendations, as their engineering expertise knows what is best for their vehicles.