Ford Windstar Issues

Old 10-06-10, 09:45 PM
Ford Windstar Issues

Hello,

I am currently looking at the viablity of purchasing this as a family hauler.

1998 Ford Windstar GL Minivan - Winnipeg Cars For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.

I have heard transmission issues and headgasket issues for the 1995 MY 3.8L Essex V6 cited as sore spots for this vehicle's reliability. Were these issues basically fixed by the 1998 MY?

What are you opinions on this vehicle? The price being asked for this specific one has been dropped to $1000.00.

Regards,
Cody

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-10, 03:59 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure about the 98 model year, but your right about the 90's vintage stuff. Early 90's Sables and Taurus's, too, were a nightmare (unless you owned a towing company ).

Probably not a bad price if the vehicle is in generally good condition, BUT I would want to have it checked out by my own mechanic (general mech for the engine issues and a tranny shop for the tranny) to see if there are any noticable clues as to pending failures.

How many miles are on it?

Old 10-07-10, 04:27 AM
I had a 99 for a couple of years. I thought the fix had occurred between 98 and 99 for the head gasket issues. I know the firewall spark plug removal headaches were the same on both.

Old 10-07-10, 07:37 AM
It has about 158000 kms which in miles would be about 98000.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-10, 07:14 PM
The 1998 engines where totaly different.. New heads, Bolts , Intakes & gaskets.. No worries of a head gasket failure on the Newer models.. The trans I think was changed also, But you should have someone verify that as my 25 years @ a Ford dealer was mostly on engines (& heater cores as no-one else liked them) !! I'll take a heater core job anyday before a rear brake job on a late F-150 from the salt province of Ontario... Roger

Old 10-08-10, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
I think about the same timeframe a next generation tranny also came out. If memory serves, the older units had planetary gear problems; don't recall any common failure items on the newer units. The older stuff kept us pretty busy towing to the tranny shops; I probably towed a couple hundred early 90's Ford products for tranny or head gasket problems.