2000 found on road dead peice of crap explorer

Old 10-09-10, 02:00 PM
2000 found on road dead peice of crap explorer

My wifes explorer is a 2000 4.0 sohc piece of **** that she loves and won't let me get rid of it.And amazing it has yet another problem.This time this gem of a is now clunking when she switches it to 4x4 and it has been jerking almost like brakes grabbing when driving in bad weather such as rain.Any suggestion on what it might be.Or does it go to the garage yet again......... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-10, 03:15 PM
I work at a Ford Assembly plant in Chicago.
So what I'd like to do is report your post for defamation.

But that's just my personal response and besides freedom of speech is more important to me. What's more, car trouble is frustrating and we've all been there.

I'm a line repair man which has nothing to do with diagnostics but I wish I could help you.
There are some pretty competent and experienced mechanics on this site so -

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like your describing two separate issues:
1 a (loud or soft?) clunk when four wheel drive is engaged (in neutral or on the fly?)
2 engine lurching when it's raining or wet out. (Regardless of two or four wheel drive?)

How many miles do you guys got on this "POS" and does it have switchable traction control?

Old 10-09-10, 03:50 PM
2000 explorer

Sorry I'm just really frustrated with this suv.It has 90,000 miles,No it doesn't have switchable traction.The loud clunking happens when switched in neutral.Don't know if it is engine lurching or what,the wife says it feels like its grabbing or bucking in bad weather rain or snow.Also by the way the od light has been flashing intermittenly.From what I have read alot of people are having problems with that.Nobody has been able to narrow down that fix.Have you heard anything on that?Again sorry if I offended you or anyone else.Its just one thing after another.

Old 10-09-10, 04:24 PM
all I can advise is that the clunking is common and could be due to a slight bit of chain stretch in your transfer case. It's a pretty hefty chain and it's not like it throws anything off sync if it's got some stretch to it. It's not like a timing chain. More like a bicycle chain if you back the pedal and put slack in the chain then go forward, the bike still moves forward and keeps moving forward, you just got a bit of slack to overcome at engagement. Loose example comparing your transfer cases chain to a bike chain.
'Cause we're talking hefty. And the power that gets pulled into a slightly slack chain can make a clunk. When you engage in drive, the gears that engage are already moving so there is no clunk.

As for the important concern, the bucking, You're on to something with that o/d light blinking.

That's a very searchable search term right there: OD light blinking 2000 Ford Explorer.
So I think you've narrowed it down greatly already.
Yes I've heard of it before but I'd better leave my speculation out of it, I don't remember the specifics.

Old 10-09-10, 08:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have to give this round to "mickblock". Only other thing is the strong possibility of a TSB. For that have a dealer run your "VIN".

Old 10-10-10, 08:43 AM
no need to be apologetic. ford explorer was the most returned vehicle under Obama trade in program. this is THE FACT. it's like telling a white man that he's white. if he wants to be offended with this, that's his decision. does not change the fact.

that's been said with all due respect to you, mick, and to every blue collar person that works for ford. and i mean it, as i worked with my hands for years, and still work with them, but use brain now more. so i respect people that WORK for living. i had 2 fords that i will take the fifth on, not to stir, and i had a mazda truck with ford badge on it, and this was about the most reliable - but retarded - vehicle i have owned. sapientis sat.

Old 10-10-10, 12:10 PM
Since I got the title for my 95 Crown Vic, it has spent a lot of time on craigslist under barter ads. been trying to trade it for a smaller car preferably non-ford because I have had bad luck with most of the Ford products I have owned over the years. Might just be that I am a jinx on them. Not making a pitch to do that here.

Old 10-10-10, 12:38 PM
Can we just let this thread go into the background unless the original poster wants to use it or someone has anything related to his issue? Thank you.

Old 10-10-10, 02:05 PM
hoboavoca,

I'm pretty sure this is the right TSB. To be sure, have it checked at a dealer.

TSB # 97314 Transfer Case - Shudder/Binding Diagnostics

Old 10-23-10, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post
hoboavoca,

I'm pretty sure this is the right TSB. To be sure, have it checked at a dealer.

TSB # 97314 Transfer Case - Shudder/Binding Diagnostics
Nice catch ASE.
Personaly, I'm a Ford guy all the way and have had great luck with them too.

Old 10-23-10, 08:07 PM
Tsb?

What does tsb stand for? Is their somewhere i can look the # up myself? I went away for awhile sorry it took so long to reply.

Old 10-23-10, 10:01 PM
It means technical service bulletin, you can probably learn more about them at the places that sell new cars.

Old 10-24-10, 11:41 AM
the trasfer case uses a separete speed sensor for the ft & rear drive shaft-'possible' problems with these.
also has a control module-behind the glove box-possible.
possible - internal case problems.
possible-alot of things.

finding a tech that has the 'experience' & the'want to'-to diagnose the concern is going to be the challenge.

a 'TSB' is just a diagnostic help for a problem that the manufacture is aware of.
it is not a recall/or something that the dealer'must' do for you.
even if the tsb applies to your vehicle- it is most likely past any any warranty state.(miles/time)