93 Ford Ranger intermittent fuel pump.

Old 10-09-10, 02:32 PM
Unhappy 93 Ford Ranger intermittent fuel pump.

Can anyone offer advise on 93 Ranger, 4-cylinder, 5-speed. One never knows if it will start? It may run fine for a week or more, but then it won't start because fuel pump is not running. So I have to get out, open the hood, wiggle the power distribution box & ground wires and then it will start. I have replaced some ground wires and I have also cleaned the ground cables/wires and where they make contact (motor, frame, body). Every time I think I have finally got the problem fixed, because the Ranger has been running just fine, it happens again and I wiggle some more. I believe that the problem is a ground problem, or should I say a loss or lack of ground. If you have any idea, suggestion, or knowledge, please advise before it drives me insane. Well, actually, it won't drive but I might go crazy trying to solve this dilemma.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-10, 08:59 PM
Next time it doesnt start....... with the key -on , engine off... Does the CHECK ENGINE light Illuminate?????

Fuel pump, injectors and Ignition coil feeds come from the ECA relay.....If The ECM does not power up, none of the above will work... Verifying the Check engine light comes on with the Key on, verifies ECM power up.

Also....On the (-) battery cable, approximately 6 inches from the battery post, you should see what looks like an "Inline Fuse Holder"...make sure the connection is "Clean And Tight".

Old 10-10-10, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) So I have to get out, open the hood, wiggle the power distribution box & ground wires and then it will start.

(Quote) I have replaced some ground wires and I have also cleaned the ground cables/wires and where they make contact (motor, frame, body).

Also

Replace all the ground wires. If the issue remains, then itís off to the junkyard you go for a new used distribution box.

Old 10-10-10, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info, I will try it later this evening.

Old 10-10-10, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that's what I was going to have to do, so I guess I'll start doing that later this evening. I will keep in mind your advice for the inline fuse holder. Thanks again.