1996 GEO Prizm won't shift

Old 10-11-10, 12:35 PM
1996 GEO Prizm won't shift

MY 1996 GEO Prizm 5 speed will not shift out of second. It won't even go into neutral when the clutch pedal is pressed in. For a while it was popping out of first gear, then one day it would only go in fourth, now it is stuck in second. I have had clutches go out before and it acts nothing like this.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-10, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mileage right now, and mileage when clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing were last changed.

Old 10-11-10, 04:29 PM
Right now 295,700 Ithink the Clutch and clutch plate were changed around 220,000 or later

Old 10-11-10, 05:43 PM
(Quote) Right now 295,700 Ithink the Clutch and clutch plate were changed around 220,000 or later

OK.

Is the above your way of saying that the throw out bearing hasn't been [B]changed for [/B]295,700 miles?

If yes, then change it and post the results.:

Old 10-11-10, 05:51 PM
not sure what the throw out bearing is

I'm not sure what the throw ou bearing is. I really don't know much about cars, just can't afford to take it somewhere and really need my car. Thanks

Old 10-11-10, 08:10 PM
i'd start with bleeding hydraulic clutch cylinder

also, you prolly have 2 cables coming to trannie from gear shifter. those are, normally, adjustable. you may want to either spend some time in a library, or on internet, or simply buy a repair manual, and check specs on those.

otherwise, i'd say your pressure plate bearing "is there". something does not compress pressure plate diaphragm enough to release clutch disc, and this keeps gears locked. in a nutshell, of course. this, again, leads me to insufficient pressure in the system thought, which is - bleed your hydraulic clutch system.

Old 10-12-10, 02:01 PM
How does the clutch feel when you engage it? Does it feel normal and smooth with the friction point at the usual position of travel? Did you check the fluid level in the reservoir? Has it ever been changed during the past 15 years? If the fluid is low are there any signs of leakage at either the clutch master cylinder, including under the dash behind the pedal or at the slave cylinder? With the car stopped and engine off are you still able to move between gears? The throw out bearing would likely have been changed out along with the pressure and friction plate if it was done at a good shop, or at least it should have been. Do you know if this was the case, or if it was done as a DIY?

Old 10-12-10, 02:39 PM
(Quote) I really don't know much about cars, just can't afford to take it somewhere and really need my car. Thanks

Youíre welcome, and I understand perfectly, but remember this is online auto repair, and we donít have your prizm in front of us. Just to keep it simple the throw out bearing is a vital part of the clutch system. Anytime a clutch and pressure plate are changed, the throw out bearing must be changed as well. Do you have a friend, relative, co-worker, (or anyone) who can help you with this diagnosis and repair? If not then, speak to people you know and get recommendations. Find out who they use as a regular mechanic. I know quite a few different mechanics in different states and across the US. If you post your city, state, and zip code I may be able to recommend a mechanic or shop that wonít take your lungs out.

Old 10-12-10, 04:33 PM
I live in Spring Hill, Tennessee 37174 Thanks so much for taking the time when its pretty obvious I do not really have a clue

Old 10-12-10, 06:24 PM
emmzeee,

Click on the link below. Not in your zip code, but should be close enough. Ask for Mike.

Say

Georgia Sam (Dr. Hemi) sent you

Excellent work at an honest price.

Crutcher's

Old 10-12-10, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by emmzeee View Post
I live in Spring Hill, Tennessee 37174 Thanks so much for taking the time when its pretty obvious I do not really have a clue
though i am not sure what you trying to say, but send my best regards to the g'ol state of Tennessee. i had very pleasant 6 years in MtJuliet, TN. next to president Jackson birthplace in Hermitage. love the state.