oil pan replacement on 03 jetta 2.0

Old 10-14-10, 05:15 AM
oil pan replacement on 03 jetta 2.0

I'm having trouble reaching the two center oil pan mounting bolts that are up in the bell housing of the transaxle. Does anyone know if there is a specialty tool to reach them or if i need to do something with the crank. I've already tried a swivel joint for a socket set but there is still not enough room.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-10, 08:48 PM
them germans...

there's thing called flex drive, but it's very hard to come about in stores. it's invaluable for tight spots:

Neiko Tools USA 3/8" Drive x 8" Flexible Socket Extension Bar 00285A

i just bought 3 of them myself.

Old 10-16-10, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the tip on the flex drive still tryin to get one off though anyone else have any info on what needs to be done?

Old 10-20-10, 06:10 PM
got my flexdrives today. very impressed. i have 3 ordered, for total of $23 shipping included. i ordered 3 just because they are unavailable in stores, handy, and were so cheap. today, i realized another good reason to have several. i stacked them up all 3 together. basically, i could bend them in almost full circle this way. 2 mated will easily go - and work - at 90 degrees.
came home, put 15mm socket on one end, long 3/8 drive on the opposite, locked socket in wise, gave wrench some torque - vise could not hold socket in the jaws, and i had it in the pipe holder jaws, made for round object. so, i am impressed. they WILL come handy.

Search this Thread