1997 Ford Explorer AWD V8 -MIL on

Old 10-12-10, 08:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1997 Ford Explorer AWD V8 -MIL on

MIL on, had Autozone do scan, error code P0455-large EVAP leak. I replaced gas cap since easiest and cheapest. When I went to replace cap I noticed the plastic flange that lines the gas fill has a piece cracked off where it makes the seal with the gas cap. My guess is this is the problem.
So my question is-do you think this is the problem? and if so, how do I replace the plastic flange? It looks like there is a pin that has to be depressed in the bottom of the flange. I tried pressing the pin and twisting the flange to no avail. Thanks.

Old 10-12-10, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The fact that the plastic piece is cracked off is most likely the reason PO455 is still set. Unless you have access to a smoke machine its hard to tell for sure exactly what is leaking or how many leaks there are. A smoke machine is a tool that’s used to find evap leaks. First check all the hoses and the connections in the evap system. If you’re unsure about any hose or connection change it. Next check the evap canister itself for any visible leaks. You can also remove the canister and check it with a powerful magnifying glass, if you don’t have access to a smoke machine. If the plastic piece is completely cracked off, it means that you have to change the filler neck. You could try a junkyard, but understand that the neck you get from the yards may have cracks as well. As an alternative to a junkyard click on the link below.

Ford Explorer Fuel Tank Filler Neck at 1AAuto.com.

Old 10-12-10, 04:12 PM
When I went to replace cap I noticed the plastic flange that lines the gas fill has a piece cracked off where it makes the seal with the gas cap.
We are discussing the actual filler neck , and not the Fuel Door Liner/ Splash guard...correct?

Anything that allows air in or out of your sealed fuel system is cause for an "EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS LEAK" DTC.

I currently have one in the shop, that has been smoke tested multiple times to no avail, Until we sprayed it with Soapy water and looked for the bubbles.....

Repositioning a hose clamp fixed it .....So ...of course , chase the "Simple Before The Sublime" , but careful visual inspection, and patience, are the keys here.

Old 10-13-10, 10:45 AM
T
Unclediezel,
Correct, in the filler neck. Great quote, chase the "Simple Before The Sublime". Hoses from filler neck to gas tank look worn (after all it is a 97 vehicle) so"ll change them out with new clamps along with new filler neck.

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: