Trouble with my 91 Ford Taurus SHO

Old 10-16-10, 10:58 AM
Trouble with my 91 Ford Taurus SHO

My transmission works fine for a while and sometimes it doesn't wanna go into any gear. I noticed if i restart it then all the gears work fine again. What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-10, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Early 90s Taurus/Sable had planetary gear problems. Premature failure was pretty rampant. Don't recall all the symptoms, but anything having to do with that vintage Ford transmission is not usually good.

Old 10-16-10, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Problems with the AXO, AXOD-E transmission run from 1986 through 1995. Cracks in the forward clutch piston cause the forward clutch to disengage, making the transmission feel as though its in neutral. A steel piston needs to be installed in the forward clutch drum instead of an aluminum one. Take the car to a transmission professional who can address TSB 94-24-7.

Old 10-16-10, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How does restarting the car fix the problem? Why doesn't it stay disengaged? How can the turning of the key change that? Just curious, that's all.

Old 10-16-10, 03:43 PM
How does restarting the car fix the problem? Why doesn't it stay disengaged? How can the turning of the key change that? Just curious, that's all.
Technically, it has nothing to do with the key...it has to do with the engine stopping, and the pressure being relieved from the back of the piston.

Old 10-16-10, 05:00 PM
oy...
i had 87 Taurus and 91 Sable. both had trannies go bad in 2 week period of time. well, that Taurus had about body and interior original left, it was such a - not to offend people that work in Michigan - such a design that i had everything else, including engine, replaced. cost me 4 times in repairs what i paid for it.

so, that was for the Fords I had, and I got my education on the make. then again, come to think, that Taurus was worth 2 years in technical college itself. broke me in into DIY repairs well. I am grateful.

sorry for historic regression, my bad. so, when was the ATF changed last time? transmission filter? btw, Lucas ATF additive is a VERY STRONG MEDICINE. i use it even on my wife's Lexus.

Old 10-23-10, 12:10 PM
I've used Lucas ATF additive to with great results.
1995 Ford Contour...CD4E trans. (Junk)
It took a hot tranny with a slight bang shift and turned it into a slick shifting tranny that cooled off 16f at operating temp.
Then I added an aux cooler that really cooled it down.

Search this Thread