How do YOU buy tires?

Old 10-16-10, 01:53 PM
How do YOU buy tires?

My wife's suv needs tires. What is the "proper way" to buy replacements? Do you take it to a tire dealer and accept whatever tire they recommend? Do you research this subject by checking some automobile forums and see what they recommend? Do you buy the correct size from stores like Costco and have them installed elsewhere?
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-10, 02:10 PM
I buy tires from places such as OK Tire or other places that make thier bussiness with tires
They deal with tires all the time and should know the history of tires and what works good and what does not.
They do installations all the time so they should know how to do it proper I figure.
I find the price close to comparable prices when I shop around and they install them for free.
They also store my summer or winter tires until I need them next.

Old 10-16-10, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Tire Rack seems to work for me. Then I check with dealers and see if they have any sales. Got 4 tires for wifes SUV a few years back, the model was being updated so they were selling "last years model" at a ridicules discount...I believe it was right at $400 mounted and balanced with the RH protection. They have about 60K and have at least 10-15 left. Pretty quiet on the road...good traction in the sand or snow.

Got the tires for the car direct from TireRack...no one was willing to beat their price...even with shipping they were cheaper. Direct ship to a preferred installer. I still saved about $60 over anyone local.

Old 10-16-10, 03:00 PM
How do YOU buy tires?

I have always used Michelin for the last 2,000,000 miles and have them on my GMC Jimmy. My wife drives a Blazer (cousin to the Jimmy), so I put the same tires on both cars - They are XLT M/S. - It is a "no brainer" for me since I have had such good luck and am trying to wear out my second set on the Jimmy at 145,000 total. If I do change cars, I will have the option of picking the best for the remaining vehicle.

Since I have decided on what is best and cheapest in the end for me, I just call the local tire shops and then pick. Now that I have trained the dealer (Previously Tires Plus) that was owned by Bridgestone - it hurts when they sell Michelin). They always had reasonable prices and knew I did not want to be subjected to the usual inspections and tries and padding the sale for corporate reasons.

Tire dealers are never near when/if you have a problem, so I just rely on the tires and luck, but I have never had to resort to going to a guarantee.

I have for a good mechanic that will do any suspension works (if needed) at a good price and he honestly tells when something is needed or not needed. He tells me where to go for a good alignment, since an alignment is just like asking for a list of things to replace.

If you haven't guessed, I dislike the national sales oriented shops that do not provide value. I buy the tires I want at a reasonable price and balanced well in the amount of time it should take, because I am impatient.

You generally live with your tires if you put them on a car you intend to drive for a while, so find what is the best tire to buy and the check the prices.

Dick

Old 10-16-10, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) My wife's suv needs tires. What is the "proper way" to buy replacements?

Well, I usually go to the store and pay for them,

Only kidding.

I only use Dunlop.
Post the year, make and model of your wifes SUV.

Old 10-16-10, 03:33 PM
2005 BMW X5

Thanks for the replies!

My son likes and uses Tire Rack.

Old 10-16-10, 03:48 PM
If I had the money to just go out and buy the whole set of tires at once, I'd ask a couple questions of the tire dealer like - 'Do the particular tires make a nuisancy road noise? And has that tire had issues like the tires wear out premature, go flat, hydroplane, or any other issues where previous customers with that tire, complain?'

Obviously you have to take their word with their answer.

A lady I know asked me if the price quote she got for one tire was okay or high. Well, regardless of my answer she had me call around for her, to get prices of new and usd tires. Then I suggested she go get a 25Ę huge selection of stuff ad paper and see if any are in there. There was. Her size. $25 for almost new tread! She ran over there (only 4 blocks from where we were working yesterday), and bought it.

Old 10-16-10, 04:03 PM
absolutely craigslist.

recent achievements:
1. set of NEW studded tires, hancook, ON RIMS, for 95 eclipse - $100
2. set of four tires for my Ranger, with around 10K miles on them - FREE. s...g you not. free.
3. set of four studded tires for GM work van, ON ALLOY RIMS, maybe with 10K miles on them - $400.
4. full set of NEW tires for same Eclipse, Aquatred, 3 mths ago, $90.
5. full set of NEW tires for 91 Civic - $100.

that's just of the top of my head. we, also, go to any mexican place here, if we are lazy, and buy tires there. 10-20 bucks, good for few years. rims 10 bucks. mounting with balancing - 12 bucks. well, tire disposal fee $2 each tire...

Old 10-16-10, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
absolutely craigslist.

recent achievements:
1. set of NEW studded tires, hancook, ON RIMS, for 95 eclipse - $100
2. set of four tires for my Ranger, with around 10K miles on them - FREE. s...g you not. free.
3. set of four studded tires for GM work van, ON ALLOY RIMS, maybe with 10K miles on them - $400.
4. full set of NEW tires for same Eclipse, Aquatred, 3 mths ago, $90.
5. full set of NEW tires for 91 Civic - $100.

that's just of the top of my head. we, also, go to any mexican place here, if we are lazy, and buy tires there. 10-20 bucks, good for few years. rims 10 bucks. mounting with balancing - 12 bucks. well, tire disposal fee $2 each tire...
I'll check Craigs List. 3 years ago I bought 4 alloys with like new tires for my F150, $300 on eBay.
Thanks for the tip

Old 10-16-10, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Problem with Craigs or the sale pages is...unless you know how to read tire date codes...they could be much older than you think. Maybe good for wheels...but I'd never do it for long term tires.

Old 10-16-10, 04:47 PM
well, we have/-d 5 cars off craigslist so far and apparently many tires. studded go for peanuts, esp summer time.
we had NO issues with cars bought. of course, i'll take credit for being diligent in checking them out. oops, take it back. forgot my new baby, 6th car, 07 Camry Hybrid. but $$$$$ we saved is mind boggling.
NO ONE in the family or community ever had any issues with tires bought there. new is new.
what i do not like about c-list, is sometimes one has to go many places to find the real deal. plus, you deal with idiots that either over praise their items, or plain has no idea what they talk about. so, i get as much info via emails, esp pics, before i go for a trip. usually, takes me a week to find what i need.
i had more issues with Mexican places. they get their supplies off salvage yards, and it's a gamble. some last well, some not. but we use them for mounting and balancing. it's cheaper than anywhere else in the area. wish they were doing rotors.. or, where art though, Steal, Alabama, where tires were balanced for $6 and rotors turned for $7..... and heck of a good job done, btw.

Old 10-16-10, 04:50 PM
sorry for being mean, you guys also do not shop at Winco or Aldi? ouch....

Old 10-16-10, 05:00 PM
Just be glad you do not have Corvette or one of the better cars. For a Corvette, you need a matched set of fronts (one for left side and one for right) and a different set for the rear, also left and right for a set of 4 different tires.

I was lucky because my Corvette never needed tires for the 60,000 miles I drove it. A set at that time would have been $1300 if I ever wanted to sell it for a good price for the two different sets. with the 4 different tires, I imagine it would be much more. At least my corvette never needed tires and got 28-30 at a reasonable cruising speed (15-20 for aggressive, macho driving).

There is definitely a certain amount of pleasure in getting the cheapest tires when you buy them and there is nothing wrong with the "hunt". I just get what I want at a good price and drive a lot of miles at the drop of a hat.

Dick

Old 10-16-10, 05:52 PM
bruceinga,

Click on the link below

Dunlop SP Sport Signature (H&V) 3.0i&autoModClar=Sport Package

Old 10-17-10, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the link. Lots of great info there!

Old 10-17-10, 04:17 AM
Bruce, I'd also check along 41 south of the chicken (it's a local thing guys). There's a bunch of tire places along there that may or may not have good deals. For the smaller cars, Volvo(s) and Caliber I like Cooper. For the Ram 3500 it is a gamble....the present set is Firestone and I'm getting a whopping good amount of mileage from them so far.

Old 10-17-10, 04:22 AM
You're welcome. Can't go wrong with Dunlop. Been drag racing on them for decades. Michellin are crap. They're just riding the crest of the wave on their name.

Old 10-17-10, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been fortunate enough to find a good honest local tire store

He carries multiple brands and types although sometimes a special size or tread design has to be ordered [takes 1-2 days] I've quit tire shopping because he always has the best deals. I've told friends and relatives about him and they shop prices and wind up buying their tires there too

Couldn't resist the chance to brag on my tire guy I'm sure there are similar shops in most areas, finding them is the hard part.

Old 10-17-10, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys.

Chandler, I was checking out the link to Tire Rack and one of their recommended installers was NTB near the Dobbins runway. l live about 5 miles from there.

The info found on Tire Rack's website is what I was looking for. Each tire has their ratings posted, speed, tread wear, traction etc.

Old 10-17-10, 10:06 AM
Yeah, ate at the Cracker Barrel last night just a ways from the runway on the Parkway. On the way from airport to send daughter and grandkids off to Denver. How does "Tire Rack" work? I've never used them. Do you buy from them and someone else install? Seems the installer would object missing out on the tire sale.
Off Topic, so what. Dumbest thing....stopped at the Chevron across the street from the CB to get gas. Asked the attendant about the bathrooms. Said they were outside. Went all the way around the building....no restrooms. Thank goodness for the dumpster in the cluster of trees!!! I took it to mean, literally, "outside". Wifey didn't need to go that bad.

Old 10-17-10, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
what i do not like about c-list, is sometimes one has to go many places to find the real deal. plus, you deal with idiots that either over praise their items, or plain has no idea what they talk about.
Off-topic - but I went to see a car advertised with no rust. Got there and it was a rust bucket. That led to a very interesting 'conversation'.

Old 10-17-10, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
How does "Tire Rack" work? I've never used them. Do you buy from them and someone else install? Seems the installer would object missing out on the tire sale.
A coincidence again for me. Here after this subject came up here, and I (too?) never heard of that tire business. Late last night on tv was their ad! Odd. How does it work? It was too late and I was to tired to be able to follow what they were talking about. I wondered the same thing you did. Like do they send them out UPS or FedX and it costs you $75 in shipping, or something? And oddly also you mentioned that if you take it to tire mount place, that maybe since you are not buying THEIR tires, that they will jack up the install rate? That is the very thing I told the lady friend 2 days ago when she bought that used tire from some guy a few blocks over. it si hard to beat the system. Just like when I am sure I paid higher labor when I had mechanic install the new fuel pump I bought from national auto parts chain store, for about $50 cheaper than mechanic's price.

Off-topic: I see the powers that be changed the smilies again. The new smilies look cheaper/old-fashion computer-generated looking

Old 10-17-10, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Tire Rack works like most internet sellers...only different...lol. You can do all your ordering online or you can talk to a person and their phone people are very knowledgeable also honest in my experience. They carry almost every brand and test almost every tire they sell (at least passenger tires) on their own fleet vehicles and at their own test track. They also list things like handling and noise levels if I remember correctly. They will ship to you or your selected installer. The freight really isn't that bad as they have warehouses all over the place. And I THINK..since they don't have a brick and mortar store you may not pay sales tax?

Their installers have to meet certain standards and the labor install price is right on their listing. They have basic installers and then they have shops that can do all sorts of suspension work, custom fancy wheels, and such.

I've never had a problem with a shop even if they weren't a Tire Rack installer...I mean..they probably make a larger % of profit from labor than the tire sale anyway.

You can go to their site and spec out your tires and get all the costs w/o ordering.

Gotta say...for me..its a lot easier than driving all over checking prices and getting quotes. I try to buy local when I can...but saving $75-100 on a $500 purchase is a big deal! I went to a local Big-O and just asked for a price on the SUV tires for mostly on-road...he quoted me the house brand and it was almost $700 installed! Say What!!!???

Old 10-17-10, 05:04 PM
With a coupon and bonus checks from my wholesale club, I am getting 4 BF Goodriches for around $150 after these things.

Old 10-18-10, 04:52 AM
That's a good deal. I pay that for one of the 6 tires on my truck! I'm gonna have to check this out.

Old 10-18-10, 06:02 AM
Gunguy is right on. Tire Rack has my size with prices ranging from $400 to $1300 per set of 4. Prices for installation range from $12.50 to $25 per tire.
Chandler, did you get to see any of the air show when you were at CB?
Btw, be very careful in that area. From that Chevron station and north about 2 miles is a high crime rate area

Old 10-18-10, 07:11 AM
For the last 10 years or so, I've always bought tires through my new car dealer. They advertise meeting or beating any local tire prices, and they usually do. I figure the tires they sell are approved for my car (it seems car manufacturers are getting VERY picky about the replacement tires put on cars and especially SUV's). An additional benefit is that all my service history is on the automaker's computer system.

Old 10-18-10, 07:49 AM
I only use Discount tire here in Texas. Can order tires on line and then have their local shop mount/balance and all that. Can save $$ sometimes that way.

Their website also lists a bunch of different tires sorted by price. On the site it lists tire specs. treadwear, temp. traction and customer reviews etc. . . .

"ASE MASTER
You're welcome. Can't go wrong with Dunlop. Been drag racing on them for decades. Michellin are crap. They're just riding the crest of the wave on their name. "

Totally disagree with ASE Master. I have Michelin Destiny tires on my car and wouldn't have anything else. But the next time I'm dragracing my commute car I might ask him for tire advice.

Always check to see what other comsumers say about the product you are about to buy--can never have too much info.

Old 10-18-10, 12:09 PM
It seems like this thread may have the life span of forum topics like 'best oil', or how often to change the oil. I have learned to never discuss politics, religion, and now oil changes.

From my experience all the makers produces a vast array of tire products and names, and most only sell a limited amount in each of the various markets depending on what the local market will buy in volume. Tires selection always is around compromise. Cost, ride, noise, traction, expected wear life etc. Buy a sticky tire for cornering and you are paying alot of money for maybe 25K or less tire wear out. Buy something with hard rubber and you are getting better tire wear, but also some road noise perhaps and a firmer ride. All Season by itself is a compromise tire. Most low profile tires now all seem to burn off sooner, but offer style and handling, and by their nature sacrifice ride. For me it all comes down to what is the best value for what I really make my priority to be in performance, value, and cost.

I found for me it is probably the best to go over all the reviews and performance specs, both on the store sites and also from others. Decide what I want to buy, and shop around for the best price for that tire mounted, balanced etc. These days some of the OEM tires used are the best in terms of the compromising performance market and others like on past Mazda 3 models with their Goodyear RSA low profile with their 15K mile tires are the worst value going, but still do what Mazda wanted them to do and provide great handling for a year. Some vehicles don't need premium tires and will still run 50 or 60K without issues and yet not provide exteme amounts of anything good or bad. I am personally a fan of some Dunlops like their Signiture series, and some high end Michelins. Continental are still around but I never see them in North America.

Old 10-18-10, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Though I've never really bought a high end vehicle (all under $25K), the stock tires have never, ever, ever lasted as long, handled as well, or been as quiet as the replacements I purchased.

Our vehicles over the last 20 yrs.....94 SE-R (never should have sold that!!), 96 Dakota, 00 Dakota, 01 Tribute, 04 Verona. Not a single stock tire lasted 35k as I remember. The Nissan of course had semi-performance tires, so I'll discount that one, but the Firestones I put on felt just as good and were still in great shape when we traded it. The second Dakota had tires that were also installed on passenger cars by Dudge...huh? Only got 25 out of them and they wandered and pulled the whole time, replacements didn't. Tribute lasted about 40k maybe...but their edges were worn bare when they were replaced with Bridgestone Duelers. Verona lasted about 30...but the edges were showing cord on the original Hankooks, the new Kuhmos have about 30 but still almost 7/10 left I think, quieter and handle better as well.

I guess my point is..."as a rule" factory tires are not always the best choice. Sometimes it's a visual compromise, sometimes it's price point. Of course $50k vehicles probably have different criteria.

Old 10-18-10, 04:06 PM
Bruce,[COLOR="red"

]Like I said.
Michelin is crap.[/COLOR]

Please donít let my sixty six years as a master influence you. Simply click on the link below.

Consumer complaints about Michelin Tires

Old 10-19-10, 05:29 AM
Bruce: No, it was about over when we got there, although there were a lot of planes still on the ground. I sort of got the feeling of a "demarkation" line at the Chevron. Different world from the mountains.

Old 10-19-10, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post
Bruce,[COLOR="red"

]Like I said.
Michelin is crap.[/COLOR]

Please donít let my sixty six years as a master influence you. Simply click on the link below.

Consumer complaints about Michelin Tires
Google "Goodyear tire complaints" once. Same thing!! Every product made in this world will be like this.

Search this Thread