ATF question

Old 10-17-10, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ATF question

does ATF Dexron formula have a shelf life of any kind? I have 5 0r 6 quarts of it in the garage that were never opened, which I bought for a truck that dropped its driveshaft 6 years ago. Is it still usable? Thank you much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-10, 05:47 PM
Absolutely.......

As long as they were never opened or contaminated, Save yourself the 3 bucks a quart and Use what ya got....

Old 10-17-10, 07:07 PM
c/p

Summary:
* Brake Fluid (if opened):
- it's hydroscopic so it will absorb water from the atmosphere (This is bad because water doesn't compress like brake fluid)
- generally a bad idea to use an opened bottle. Chuck it within a few weeks.

* Oil
- 2 to 5 years (sealed in temp stable location)
Forums - Powered by Social Strata
- 5 years max according to Mobil
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...helf_Life.aspx

* Coolant
- I had some sealed coolant for my Audi that i bought a few years ago. My mechanic said that it was no problem to use it as long as the bottle remained sealed.
- If you think about it, it really doesn't matter if water gets into the coolant since coolant should be a mix of 50% antifreeze and 50% water.

* ATF
-BobtheOilGuy.com recommends a shelf life of 3 years max under protected conditions. Does not apply to previously OPENED bottles
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible
- Dealership recommends 3-5 years because "it goes through a lot
worse inside the tranny.

* Gear Oil
-BobtheOilGuy.com recommends a shelf life of 2 years max under protected conditions. Does not apply to previously OPENED bottles.
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

here's c/p from valvoline home site:

#

What is the shelf life of ATF?

The Valvoline Company does not have a documented shelf life exposure on finished motor oil or ATF. We would expect under optimal conditions that the product would be stable for an extended period of time. We recommend two things: 1) Make sure the rating meets or exceeds your requirements, and 2) Shake the container before use. If the fluid sets, sometimes the additives may settle in the bottom of the container.

Old 10-18-10, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't really have a use for it now other than making the homebrew of that and acetone, so I wondered.

Old 10-21-10, 10:32 AM
* Brake Fluid (if opened):
- it's hydroscopic so it will absorb water from the atmosphere (This is bad because water doesn't compress like brake fluid)
- generally a bad idea to use an opened bottle. Chuck it within a few weeks.

I cannot agree with all of this. Yes it will absorb water but the problem does not lie with differences in compression. The problem is that water will deteriorate calipers and master cylinder parts. Under heavy repeated braking heat will seep into the fluid and cause the liquid water to increase in temperature. The next time you put your foot on the brake pedal, it can go to the floor because water vapor is compressible. During the time the brake pressure was lowered, the liquid water can flash to vapor.

In many cases you don't notice it while you are braking because the pressure in the brake lines and caliper is very high which considerably raises the boiling point of water. But when you relax the break pedal, the high pressure is released and the liquid water suddenly finds itself at a temperature where it wants to be a vapor. So when you brake again, you get the big ugly surprise.

Regarding throwing away brake fluid, I don't do it. What I do is transfer it to a smaller container so the container is full. That way it is not exposed to the air in the empty part of the container.

I operate a track car where braking is most critical so it is of extreme importance to me.....I don't feel like having to buy another track if mine is crashed.