94 Saturn SC2

Old 10-19-10, 02:08 PM
94 Saturn SC2

I have a 94 Saturn SC2. 167000 miles. The plugs are covered in oil in the well.. I went to change them out and noticed oil in the well on 2 of the plugs.. Am I just most likely looking at a valve cover gasket? Just wondering what some of you other guys think.. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-10, 04:51 PM
Yep....Common problem on ANYTHING with "Plug TUBES" or recessed plugs.

MAKE SURE....when you buy the V/C gasket , that it comes with the tube seals....or else you will need to buy them seperately...

Old 10-20-10, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The plugs mount into the center of the engine. The valve cover surrounds the holes that the plugs fit into. There are seals in the valve cover at the spark plug holes. When these seals leak, oil gets into the area around the base of the spark plug. When you’re pulling the plugs, the pooling oil will leak into the cylinder. At the same time the oil will cover the plug threads, as your removing the plugs. If you never pull the plugs the oil will never get onto the plug threads or leak into the cylinder. The amount of oil that leaks into the cylinder is so little that it’s harmless. Uncle diezel is right. Change the cam cover gasket and seals. Best to use “OE” parts, so buy the gasket and seal kit from a dealer. Use a criss-cross pattern to torque down the cover bolts, and tighten them down to 10-12 lbs of torque.