1989 Rv wont start

Old 10-28-10, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Any progress, putter?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-10, 05:48 AM
been to busy hopefully soon

Old 10-29-10, 10:49 PM
Here one trick I have done this once a while with stubborn one I know you did check the timming at *1 hole but go to 180į on distuburtour and check the timming again if that show couple degrees off then you have streched timming chain otherwise CPS { either crankshaft postion sensor or camshaft sensor } may cause hard start or no start when warm.

I have ran into like this in few electronique diesel engines.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-30-10, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote french277V said) either crankshaft postion sensor or camshaft sensor may cause hard start or no start when warm.

putter58,

For your particular issue a cam sensor issue is possible but not probable.

More likely a crank sensor issue.
Check as follows or post error codes.

Confirm a circuit (voltage and ground) to the crank sensor. Next check would be crank sensor output. The sensor should be "on" and read 5 volts (Voltage reference). Measure the sensors D.C. output voltage between the sensor signal output wire and ground. (Use the engine block as ground and not the ground wire at the sensor). When the engine is cranked, the sensor output should drop to zero every time the shutter blade, notch, magnetic button or gear tooth passes through the sensor. No change in voltage would mean a bad sensor.

Old 10-30-10, 08:56 AM
Did we ever learn the compression test results (even if only taken from a couple easy to get to cylinders)? Did we ever learn if the spark is truly a good spark or not? There is a possible fork in the road to pursue, depending on that spark issue, IMO.

ASE,

Don't mind me. I'm just a shade tree mechanic type of about 40 years that likes to ponder issues and toss things out there.

Old 10-31-10, 05:45 AM
Been to busy I will let you know this week thanks the last thing done was the distributor was turned and it started but wasnt right therefore we think it isnt timed right maybe due to a slightly worn timing chain [as French stated]so we are going to reset it

Old 10-31-10, 03:55 PM
Putter,

Basics, Basics, Basics, Basics.

First, Foremost, and Always.

Weíve posted many troubleshooting suggestions and asked many questions. If you go back and review those questions, youíll that all of them deal with ruling out the basics first. Unfortunately, to date all our questions continue to go unanswered. There are now so many unanswered basic questions that they may never be all addressed.

(Quote) maybe due to a slightly worn timing chain [as French stated]

Well not exactly. There was a mechanic before French who made reference to a timing chain issue.

Post # 24
10/24/10
12:30 pm

ASE MASTER STATED:

Rule out blown fuses, circuit breakers and fusible links. If those check out rule out: an ECM issue or an engine that has jumped time. Also timing chains do snap. Post the results of a compression test and rule out an excessive back pressure issue.

The following is a basic test. Do it and post the results.

Bring the number one cylinder to TDC. If the rotor is not pointing EXACTLY at the first plug. The engine has jumped time.

Old 11-01-10, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by putter58 View Post
It started after I replaced the distributor and didnt run right [misses backfired etc]It started after I replaced the fuel pump and then didnt run right[misses etc] it started after I replaced the tfi module and ran like a top but it wouldnt restart after sitting for a while.This is a multiport injection motor in case I didnt mention that.It wouldnt hit at all before I started replacing these things but it would turn over.
Maybe you are in that pickle regarding how far you can turn the distributor if say you reinstalled the distributor off a cog or so. If so, the valvetrain-to-crank alignment might be correct, with only the distributor oriented abnormally. This does not hurt anything as long as you are able to move the distributor far enough either way to time the engine.

Old 11-25-10, 10:10 AM
It was the coil plus it needed the timing adjusted therefore 2 fuel pumps,distributor,rotor spark plugs and wires and a ignition module and a mechanic who never came back along with close to a $1000 dollars later it is fixed" aint life grand."

Old 11-25-10, 11:18 AM
putter58,

Glad to hear itís fixed
sorry to hear it
cost you a grand

Donít think of the money. Think of it as a short course you took at auto mechanic school. You spent a $1000.00 but you learned something. U]You learned the first and most critical rule of auto mechanics.[/U]Basics,

Basics, Basics, Basics. First, Foremost, and Always.

Successful auto repair is nothing more than applying common sense and logic to resolve an issue.

Go back to posts number

4, 27, 30, and 37

Print them out
read them till
you know them
in youíre sleep
if there is a next
time youíll be ready

Best Regards
Sam

Old 11-25-10, 03:22 PM
Too much testosterone for me thik Ill have a turkey sandwich