Fuel pump replacement in 2001 Malibu

Old 10-23-10, 04:28 PM
Fuel pump replacement in 2001 Malibu

I need to replace the fuel pump in my 01 malibu and the tank is full of fuel. Of course I learned after some frustration there is a screen at the bottom of the fill tube preventing my siphon hose from reaching the fuel.

Any ideas on how to get the gas out of there to prevent dealing with a heavy gas tank while removing it to replace the fuel pump.

Thanks,

Daryl

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the world of repairing cars with pumps in the tanks... There isn't really any way to get the fuel out other than what you already tried,,, Get a good jack & a good Buddy & lower the tank,,, Sorry,, Roger

Old 10-24-10, 03:56 AM
A fuel tank should NEVER be removed from a vehicle outside of a Shop environment.....

Having said that....Its just a personal peeve...something to do with the next door neighbor ,July 4th , and lots of barbecued Chickens

Now....Jack the rear of the car up , so the wheels are about six inches off the ground.

Remove the fuel line from the engine side of the fuel filter, place it in a bucket...(A gas can works well), and finally, remove the gas cap...It will take a while, but the siphon effect will drain off the fuel to a more manageable level.

Old 10-24-10, 10:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Welcome to the world of repairing cars with pumps in the tanks... There isn't really any way to get the fuel out other than what you already tried,,, Get a good jack & a good Buddy & lower the tank,,, Sorry,, Roger
Why didn't they make ALL cars like the 95 Buick Riviera I recently posted about, that has access to the fuel pump through the trunk? Not just for DIY'ers, but even the pros? To not have that is one of the most foolish things I've heard of. It almost borders on criminal negligence, IMO.

Old 10-25-10, 05:55 AM
Thanks for all the responses they are all helpful, both in new ideas and assuring myself I have not overlooked the obvious, which happens, just ask my wife. Any way thank you. I have the tank out, did it when it was full. Was not as bad as expected, using a jack and extra pair of hands.

Thanks,
Saurd