If gov't madates fuel economy, why not vents in windows anymore?!

Old 10-24-10, 10:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If gov't madates fuel economy, why not vents in windows anymore?!

I had to run my car's a/c most needlessly this summer from the fact my window has no vent window! Years ago I used to be able to adjust that vent window when cruising, to blast nice cool outside air on my face. No need for a/c.

Also, some (most?) cars were made that had vents below the dash where you would pull/move a lever or whatever to get nice cool fresh air in the same way.

Allowing the panel vent to blow outside air on your face does not cut it. Because the air passes through the blend compartment, making that air exiting the vent like 15 degrees hotter than the outside air temp! You HAVE to run the a/c because of that.

And doesn't running the a/c cost you up to like 3 mpg? That is all a person has to say, right there.

If anyone from the gov't reads this, tell somebody.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 04:40 PM
yeah, i'll Obama next for you.
those little windows
1. add to vehicle manufacturing costs
2. were notorious entry point for thieves

and i know exactly what you talking about, yes, they worked well as "air flow" a/c units.

so, this is what you do, as a/c steals up to 25% of ur mpg, not 3mpg.

buy a set of window vent covers. they average $40-50. put them on. if it's a 4 door sedan, lower passenger side front and rear windows, about 3/4 inch. enjoy. creates very nice circular air flow, defogs interior. i put them on every car i can, except The Boss's one, as she has "her opinion" on this.

Old 10-25-10, 08:54 PM
ukrbyk,, Id just put them on the bosses car for goofs,, She may change her mind As you'r right, they do work well... Roger

Old 10-26-10, 10:53 AM
I would like to have bumpers installed on cars as well like we had in the 50's and 60's. Used to be able to push a car with yours to get it started... and not do $3,000.00 damage in the process !!
We called those small vent windows "no-drafts".

Old 10-26-10, 01:09 PM
ecman -

It(vent windows) will never happen here.

People (new car buyers) want cars with air conditioning and not just ventilation. The possible reduction in mileage might exist, but for modern cars, driving with open windows does not use more gas than with A/C according to many tests, including the backyard "Myth Busters".

If someone wants vent windows, they just have to find an older car or order a new one with the option (usually available on the upscale cars).

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 10-26-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
I think the 3 MPG depends on what type of vehicle it is.

Old 10-26-10, 02:47 PM
I loved the floor vent that you pulled out to get more air flow in on an old truck I had, think it was early 80's, cannot remember brand. The foot operated high beam switch was cool too.

Old 10-26-10, 10:57 PM
From what I have researched on this topic, using the recirculate button if your vehicle is so equipped will reduce the impact penalty of AC down to about 1 mpg. Just having AC equipped on a vehicle can cost close to 1 mpg in mileage penalty due to the added weight the system brings and almost all vehicles these days come with AC as standard equipment. For some of us who live in places that become extremely hot in summer, the penalty is well worth it.

Old 10-30-10, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
ecman -

It(vent windows) will never happen here.

People (new car buyers) want cars with air conditioning and not just ventilation. The possible reduction in mileage might exist, but for modern cars, driving with open windows does not use more gas than with A/C according to many tests, including the backyard "Myth Busters".

If someone wants vent windows, they just have to find an older car or order a new one with the option (usually available on the upscale cars).

Dick
Dick, I don't follow the way you word what you said. Does the open window concept also waste up to 3 mpg? If not, why not go with open vent for those times your really do not NEED a/c when temperature marginally warm-hot out. Or, have the other type of vent you manually open that draws in only ambient air. Keep in mind we are not talking about rolling windows down. It is opening drivers side window vent you aim the air at your face. Ahhhh. I loved that.

Old 10-30-10, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by equinox View Post
From what I have researched on this topic, using the recirculate button if your vehicle is so equipped will reduce the impact penalty of AC down to about 1 mpg. Just having AC equipped on a vehicle can cost close to 1 mpg in mileage penalty due to the added weight the system brings and almost all vehicles these days come with AC as standard equipment. For some of us who live in places that become extremely hot in summer, the penalty is well worth it.
The compressor shuts down sooner because inside temp reached faster? If so, wouldn't this only apply to vehicles with automatic climate temperature control? I don't think mine has that. I think if I turn my a/c on, it will become a deep freezer inside, running the compressor constantly, during the time I have it on, unless I blend the temp with outside air via the blend door temperature lever. (IOW, move lever to heat position while a/c runs.)

Old 10-30-10, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
I loved the floor vent that you pulled out to get more air flow in on an old truck I had, think it was early 80's, cannot remember brand. The foot operated high beam switch was cool too.
Amen to the good ol days, with this stuff - AND - you could also locate parts under the hood, including the battery.

Old 10-30-10, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I think the 3 MPG depends on what type of vehicle it is.
That is why I said "up to....". I think of saying stuff like that due to legalize stuff I learn from infomercials.

Old 10-30-10, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I would like to have bumpers installed on cars as well like we had in the 50's and 60's. Used to be able to push a car with yours to get it started... and not do $3,000.00 damage in the process !!
We called those small vent windows "no-drafts".
Police cars around here are equipped with pushers on them. Also have a feeling that they could turn a deer into sliced cheese/protect radiator.

Old 10-30-10, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
so, this is what you do, as a/c steals up to 25% of ur mpg, not 3mpg.
"...up to.....". 25%. You sure? That could be worse yet (than 3 mpg)! Let's see.......... 32 mpg......nah......can't be......can it?

Old 10-30-10, 09:37 AM
It is quiet simple. - If you open windows or vents, you create more resistance as your speed goes up. If you puddle-jump around town it is a minimal resistance. If you are on a freeway at 65 mph or higher, the resistance created goes up with the speed. This can be very important at higher speeds (ver about 45 mph) because even the NASCAR "tanks" tweek the spoilers by 1/8s of an inch to get the ideal air flow.

Even the fastest car in the world (Bugatti Veyron) could not achieve its high speeds with any windows/vents open because of the air resistance and aerodynamics. They even omitted pin-striping. At 265 mph, the tank will be empty in 12 minutes. - All from two small V8s.

Air conditioning is a drag on an engine and possibly performance depending on the speed you are traveling.

Apparently, the public prefers to have the comfort of AC and does not want the draw-backs of vents (cost, moisture, noise loss of fuel economy on trips). My 1969 Chevrolet only had one piece side windows and no window vents, but you could direct the AC/ventilation to blow in your face without the noise without running the AC.

If you are one of the minority that want vents, buy a specific car or modify/add to yours to get the wind in your face.

Dick

Old 10-30-10, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Apparently, the public prefers to have the comfort of AC and does not want the draw-backs of vents (cost, moisture, noise loss of fuel economy on trips). My 1969 Chevrolet only had one piece side windows and no window vents, but you could direct the AC/ventilation to blow in your face without the noise without running the AC.

If you are one of the minority that want vents, buy a specific car or modify/add to yours to get the wind in your face.
Apparently.

I am an unapparent person, it seems. Even at my home improvement store they discontinue some stuff that I thought was the greatest thing.

Dick, you have a vast knowledge of car trivia that I really enjoy reading about, I guess from all your world travels and stuff.

I try to direct MY a/c at my face with the a/c off and that is when I get that blended hotter than ambient air, instead, unfortunately. Did your '69 really put out true outside air temp through the vents?

Old 10-30-10, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
I'd guess much depends on where the outside air is being taken in to the system. I imagine almost all newer cars take air from the cowl...which might be kind of warm from both sun and engine heat. Seems like some older ones used to pull air from somewhere in the fenders?

And the 25% reduction in mileage using A/C can't be right. 3% seems more reasonable.

I remember studies from way back when. CHP (I believe) found that mileage was actually better with windows up. And that was back before cars had as good a Cd (Drag coefficient) as they do now. And it probably has a lot to do with weight and starting mileage as well.