2005 jeep grand cherokee rear window opens on it's own

Old 10-25-10, 04:24 PM
2005 jeep grand cherokee rear window opens on it's own

i have a demon on my hands..the rear hatch has started opening on it's own when i start the vehicle. the other day it took me 4 times till i could leave till it quite throwing a fit. i would shut it get back in to leave and it would open again. then whe i had it opened removing items from back of jeep it kept clicking like it was trying to open..anyone have same problem or any solutions? it also started one day on it's own, i ahve a remote start on it and it started on it's own. could it be a glitch with the remote starter or something else? remote start has been on about 4 years now.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-10, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Is there also a remote unlock for the rear hatch? Pretty coincidental to have two electrical problems at the same time without some relationship.

Old 10-26-10, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a BCM (Body Control Module) issue to me. Have the module scanned for error codes at a dealer. While at the dealer have the service manager run you "VIN" for a TSB or recall.

Old 10-26-10, 07:43 PM
Check & lube the pushbutton in the hatch with lots of "Spray & Pray" (WD-40, Krown, whatever you think you can "Spray" on & "Pray" it's fixed) My Wifes Jimmy had that happen & I fixed it with the "Spray & Pray" stuff after the Goverment Motors dealer wanted $350.00 for a latch & button& something else.. I'm thinking you'r button is just kinda stuck in... Try it... Roger

Old 11-02-10, 06:27 PM
thanks, i sprayed the pushbutton i can see it is hung up still after spraying many times. any idea how to get that apart? do i have to remove inside panel cover?

Old 11-02-10, 09:20 PM
I'm sure you have to remove the inside panel,,, Look close for the fasteners..
Sorry not more help, but I've never had a Jeep apart.. Lots of Freightshakers & Kennys, tho, LOL
Roger

Old 11-03-10, 11:27 AM
A few things to try.....

As stupid as this sounds..Try it....Ive recently seen this multiple times on Durangos ,Nitro, and both the liberty and Grand Cherokee. Is there anyone of your neighbors who just got a new Garage door opener?????? It turns out, Several of the Craftsman Homelink systems cause Interference with The RKE system on Chrysler built Vehicles. In all cases, parking the vehicle across the street, or reversing the direction you park the car in has cured the issue.
OR

Your Key Fob is going south.....
OR

Remove the panel, and reverse the trigger wires for the latch in the connector. The latch is "Ground Triggered", and it can be inadvertently be set off by any contact with A grounded source.......Even the latch mechanism itself. By reversing the wires in the connector, The trigger wire is "Out of harms way" and is less likely to Bump, rub, or touch anything that it shouldnt.

I cant find it at the moment, But there is a Mopar Svc bulletin For 07-09 Nitros with a "GATE AJAR" lamp that flashes intermittently. While it may not be an exact match.....The theory behind it is worth looking into.

Old 11-04-10, 05:44 PM
thanks for the info, fortunately i don't have any neighbors close by. i will try reversing the wires.