Thunderbird Rear Window Seal

Old 10-29-10, 08:52 AM
Thunderbird Rear Window Seal

The seal on the rear window of my 88 Bird Sport Coupe has come loose and I can hear it at highway speed flapping around. What can I safely use to re-seal it without damaging paint, or the rubber/plastic seal itself. The car has no rust and the seal is ok too, just moving when it shouldnt.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-10, 07:23 PM
well, you need to clarify what is that you mean by seal. my guess is you have rubber seal with shiny plastic insert in it, and that does have tendency to come loose and flap. should you have had the seal itself go loose, you'd have had a bucket of water inside by now. picture might help. would be nice not to have to deal with photobucket, but it is what it is.

Old 10-29-10, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) What can I safely use to re-seal it without damaging paint, or the rubber/plastic seal itself.

Clear RTV. Click on the link below.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ve_Sealant.htm

Old 10-29-10, 08:01 PM
Does It have a Cloth Top????

If the rear glass itself were loose enough to Flop around, Opening a window at highway speed would pull it right off of the car, and as mentioned, would leak like a SIEVE.

A roll of painters tape, 8 inches at a time, and cover the perimeter of the glass, one 8 inch section at a time. Drive the car, and find the section where the noise is eliminated. I can almost bet you have a loose weatherstrip, that flaps in the breeze.

If the car has a cloth top , I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND TAKING IT TO A GLASS SHOP......The top will need to be removed , or repositioned to do ANY glass or sealing work, and is far to frustrating to be done DIY, without damaging the top, the seals the glass , or all of the above.

Old 10-30-10, 08:40 PM
Thunderbird rear window seal

After reading the question about a plastic insert in a rubber seal, I went out in the garage today and took a closer look at what I had. There was indeed a "shiny plastic" band that was press fit into a "rubber" seal that surrounds the glass. My good luck was that the rubber seal itself wasn't loose, just the plastic insert. I carefully cleaned the seal groove and re-inserted the plastic band, and it remained there at highway speed today. I think my local car wash is probably responsible, and I either have to try the clear RTV trick or wash it by hand...

Thanks for ALL the replies!!!

Old 10-31-10, 01:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool, wouldn't silicone caulk make more sense than RTV or is RTV made of silicone?

Old 10-31-10, 05:50 PM
actually, nothing will work until you do something very important. i think, that shiny insert is called chrome molding... used to be very popular back in time. just like Wolverine's brother, Victor, said when he saw his knifes coming out: Oooh, shhhhiny....

anyhow. what you have to do is to peal that molding out of the grove farther up, maybe several inches; take a good spray cleaner, a toothbrush, spray liberally into the grove, and clean the hell out of it. you DO HAVE dirt and mold and who knows what else in it, and NOTHING will hold molding in place, until you remove all that junk.
i have tried that before, you have my word on this. YOU HAVE TO HAVE GROVE CLEAN. same goes for the molding, btw.
thereafter, i'd suggest weatherstripping glue. master or barge will be even better, but it's a specialty item. w-stripping glue is simply stronger version of rubber cement.
get a hair drier, apply thin coat of cement to molding and window seal, esp inside the grove, and dry it out with drier; apply 2nd coat of glue, dry again, and place molding back into the grove.
molding is sold in inexpensive rolls at any parts store, you might consider buying one and replacing all of it. part of it's purpose is not simply shine, but keep window sealed. window seal rubber shrinks with time from heat and molding's sealing edge wears out. so, a new molding strip helps window to stay sealed.

oh, and here's my 2 cents on silicone. they melt out in the sun heat. i have been there too. maybe red rtv silicon.

Old 10-31-10, 07:12 PM
Thunderbird rear window seal

This is definitely not chrome. It is black, very flexible, and so is the seal with the grove it fits into. No argument on the fact that there is probably a lot more dirt in the grove all along the way. 22 years is a long time. If this molding adhesive is a speciality item, I would think it would be available at a body shop supply store, yes?