power driver's seat

Old 10-31-10, 01:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
power driver's seat

Howdy!

My 95 Crown Vic has a powered driver's seat. Should I be able to operate it without the keys in the ignition? It surprised me when I was vacuuming the car and hit the switch accidentally and seeing the seat move. Have a Happy Halloween folks!! , well today, make it candy.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-10, 05:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never paid much attention whether or not all cars with power seats are adjustable with the ignition off but I know my wife's 03 merc's seats can be adjusted without the ignition on.

Old 10-31-10, 05:26 PM
Yes......

The theory behind it......

It was designed so that you are supposed to move the seat back to exit the vehicle, and adjust the seat to comfortable position before operating the vehicle.

This should all be done with the ignition off.
If you have a chance, look at a vehicle with a memory seat......Ign off, key out, open the door...the seat moves back to allow you to exit.
Off topic a bit...But I recently had a customer with a "Dead battery in the morning" issue, That no one could locate the Parasitic draw... As it turned out. The door ajar switch in the latch was defective, and the seat would move forward and back the whole night...Unknown to the customer after closing the door and walking away from the vehicle.

Old 11-01-10, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Had a vehicle with a power seat years ago, disconnected the seat motor because it was draining the battery. That isn't an issue with this car, it just surprised me.

It did make it a little easier when I had to take out the seat when I had to replace the female part of the seat belt due to a penny getting stuck in there and it got jammed. My method of freeing it made it so it couldn't be used again (hammer and screwdriver).