AWD will not spin rear tires

Old 11-04-10, 10:32 AM
AWD will not spin rear tires

06 Buick Terazza AWD only spins front tires. Rear does not spin.
Automatic transmission fluid checked and is at proper level.

Question
Possible reasons why AWD does not work?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-10, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Differential issue.
TSB # 06-04-114-001A should resolve it
Run your VIN with a dealer

Old 11-04-10, 09:24 PM
and who said they are supposed to be spinning? AWD on most vehicles is set up to operate front axle only, for fuel economy. it is not constant 4x4; you need Toyota Landcruiser for that. or FJ.
so, back to AWD. rear wheels are supposed to kick in only when the front wheels slip. basically, when you drive on a frozen road, front wheels slip on ice, you should hear buzz from below, and it should grab all four then.
i'd say, go to a muddy place, make sure front wheels are dead in slippery mud, and hit the gas. have someone observe rear wheels from safe distance. if front wheels turn in mud, and rear don't - you have a problem. i'd blame front wheel sensors first, then ECM or TCM, then transfer case.
on AWD, you have engine/transmission/transfer case/rear differential. but because it is not a mechanical transfer case, like you have on pickup trucks, it works different. t-case is sort of a small size transmission, with special fluid hydraulically locking driveshaft, to run power to the rear wheels.

Old 11-05-10, 07:07 AM
Mud. Been there, done that. Thats how we know the rear wheels dont spin.
All 4 wheels pulse nice on gravel hard stop and no codes.
I will check the VIN with dealer and get back to you if I learn anything.
Thanks

Old 11-05-10, 12:58 PM
Frankiee,

Regarding Bulletin No 06-04-114-001A

Rear clutch chatter in rear differentials is a common problem with the AWD crap that is rolling off of GM assembly lines these days. Most times the issue will present as a moaning or groaning type of noise that you can hear while making turns in a parking lot. Left untreated and neglected it can disable the rear wheels entirely. I know a few engineers at GM. When it came to my attention that GM was moving towards AWD I gave the engineers my recommendations. I also told them to take a look at how Infinity approached AWD.

Answer?

Great ideas Sam….Too expensive though….Suits will never go for it….Also no planned obsolesce….Works too well….Will last too long….Lose too much money on selling parts.

My G-35X has 382.122 miles on it, and I’ve done is change the oil and filter every 3000 miles, and change the transmission fluid and filter screen every 30.000 miles. The point is many GM service managers (not all) are idiots. Many have no training at all, and writing your complaint on a job order could prove to be a taxing and overwhelming experience for many of them. I’m telling you this so that you know to stand your ground when the service manager tells you;

“Well we test drove your Terazza and we didn’t hear a moan or groaning sound".

If the service manager tells you the above, you tell him the below.

My issue is being caused by a slip-stick condition between the friction and reaction plates in the clutch pack unit. When a vehicle makes turns the inner and outer rear wheels spin at different rates. With rear differentials, and clutches the wheels will grip going straight and slip on turns. If not, one tire would drag.

I’m also including Buick’s customer relations number, if you can’t get satisfaction with a dealer.

800- 521-7300.

Good Luck
Sam

Old 11-05-10, 06:07 PM
frankiee, here's answer to your question. do not freak out, do not tear your car apart, or run to dealers. watch this video. got your answer?

What is the difference between full time four wheel drive, all wheel drive versus automaticall wheel drive (on-demand system)

and i had CR-V and we still have RX300 with same drive type as Highlander. and i could sware i had them 4 wheels grasp on V. anyhow. this is super educational vid.

Old 11-06-10, 06:55 AM
ukrbyk
Thanks for the video.
I have seen that video before.
We've had AWDs before and know what to expect.
Test conditions are wet grass on clay at my dads place (its my dads AWD)
Front tire spin and rear does not on the wet clay which is a next to no load condition.
Computer should read that front tire is spinning with reference that the rears are not and transmit power to the rear. The rear should have no problem spinning a wheel under those slippery condtions.
I am busy working right now but I am putting my feelers out on the net looking for possible answers which others have experienced.
I dont have a problem with taking to the dealer with that TSB that Sam supplied and having them take a look at it.
I stress Take A Look At It and not fix it at the dealers. I will do the fixing or an independent shop will fix it if I cant or dont have the time.
Thanks for the help

Old 11-06-10, 07:43 AM
frankiee, that's cool. good you know what you working with. if i was condescending in any manner, i apologize.

but here's the catch though.

Test conditions are wet grass on clay at my dads place (its my dads AWD)
Front tire spin and rear does not on the wet clay which is a next to no load condition.
Computer should read that front tire is spinning with reference that the rears are not and transmit power to the rear. The rear should have no problem spinning a wheel under those slippery condtions.

it's a shoulda-woulda situation. so it shoulda on CR-V, on Highlander, and whatever else they tested. AND IT DOES NOT. it is a design flaw and overpromised advertising. not a broken part.

and it's cool what you feel and intend to do. but! there's always that infamous but. you are trying to get involved with something that is way beyond a scope of any DIYfer. it's sensors, computers, complex electronics, software algorithms and parts requiring very special knowledge. you taking a lot of chances of getting a perfectly well working, though poorly designed, vehicle, to an unscrupulous mechanic, that will tell you a lot of hot air, flash a lot of $$$ into your mind, put your dad's car into garage for a week, to make it look very important, and charge you $$$. this happened to me once, blessed i doubted and caught it on time.

so, my question is - DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH TRACTION/STABILITY/WINTER DRIVING to go through all this? as, in my case, apparently, Honda and Toyota bs-d their buyers with a non functional AWD, yet, i had my V through harshest winter drives, my wife had her RX300 through same, and we never lost traction or skid, and i purposefully tried to skid my V in Oregon mountains winter 2005. and i could not no matter what i did.

so, is it broken/hazardous to drive, or you just trying to prove something? as if it drives fine, then just forget about it. or get a Tahoe with little knob controlling mechanical 4x4 and be happy.

btw, antilock sensors are used to tell ECM/TCM when wheels lose traction. they are easily accessible and get dirty as easy. i'd take 'm out and clean for starters.
seriously, if there is no problem otherwise, let it go. oh boy, i already hear them sweet talkers at the customer service desk buzzing their tunes....

Old 11-06-10, 10:04 AM
ukrbyk
No offence taken. I tend to be too short with my questions and leave alot to be guessed at I guess.
Same with my replys. They tend to be short and could appear rude.
It may be I must apologize to you. Sorry

I ask questions on these forums to get answers that are from anothers point of view.
If that is the fact then there can be now wrong answers.
I will of course listen to and consider all replies.
Thank you

Old 11-06-10, 11:52 AM
Frankiee,

You most likely know this (from past experience) but I just want to remind you of it one more time. While most dealer service writers are jerks, (some are not).

Yes you are free to go to any Buick dealer you want, But I understand perfectly well, that you have better things to do with your time than to find a dealership that is not staffed by:

Wanna be’s
Losers
And jerks

Another route you can take to go to your nearest Buick dealership.

Pay the service manager a few bucks.

Have him print out the TSB for you.

[U]Now take the TSB to your regular mechanic, and have him apply the TSB to your issue. [/U]

It’s not etched in stone that you must deal with a dealer for your problem.

I’ve read many of your past answers and responses. You strike me as a capable individual. That being said, you may want to try applying the TSB yourself. As TSB’s go it’s a straight forward walk through the park.

Don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of further help

Best Regards
Sam

Old 11-06-10, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Also..many independent shops have all-data available and can provide a complete printout of recalls and TSBs. I think it was a Midas or similar that would provide them for me back in VA.

And it is complete...not just a description of the problem.

Old 11-06-10, 01:59 PM
Gun,

Alldata used to be great. However, from the time they got into bed with Auto Zone they are far from what they used to be. I found plenty of mistakes with repair and troubleshooting info. Also found that TSB’s and RECALLS were not always up to date. For pennies more you’re far better off with Mitchell. Click below.

Do it Yourself Automobile Repair Manuals - Mitchell 1 DIY

Old 11-06-10, 05:09 PM
rankiee

ukrbyk
No offence taken. I tend to be too short with my questions and leave alot to be guessed at I guess.
Same with my replys. They tend to be short and could appear rude.
It may be I must apologize to you. Sorry

I ask questions on these forums to get answers that are from anothers point of view.
If that is the fact then there can be now wrong answers.
I will of course listen to and consider all replies.
Thank you

very well then. great spirit of camaraderie!
let me know what you found, please. i was, actually, quite upset after i watched that video. but then again, i do not believe that toyota, honda, and vw will put half assed designes on the market, having them so easily unvailed.
so, let me know, bud.