Ridge in brake rotor

Old 11-07-10, 02:15 PM
Ridge in brake rotor

it's not a big deal, but been bugging me since yesterday, besides, i have never seen something like this before.
was rotating tires on wify's car, just to find that rear brake pads are kaput.
found totally odd thing on one of the rotors: about 2mm wide, maybe 1.5 mm tall circumferential ridge across the inner rotor surface, right about in the middle.
noticed nice thin grove in the brake pad, picked behind the rotor, and saw that ridge.
i think, it was some factory imperfection in the pad material, that caused a soft strip in it, resulting in metal being less warn out by it.
any ideas? no warpage, nice strong brakes work, just odd....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-10, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey buddy,

(Quote) just to find that rear brake pads are kaput.

(Quote) no warpage, nice strong brakes work, just odd....

Donít understand the above quotes. Taking a moment to explain will definitely help.

How is it possible to have nice strong brakes that work if the rear pads are kaput?

Does kaput mean there is no pad left?

Are you saying that on the wheel in question itís brake shoe (not pad) against rotor (metal to metal) to stop?

Post a few close up pictures of the ridge. Cutting the rotor (resurfacing) may get the ridge out.

Sam

Old 11-08-10, 06:30 PM
should have taken pictures.
4 disk brakes.
brakes worked well, but pedal was going down too low to my taste. this car, RX300, always had very good brakes.
i had ceramics installed on the front end, and hated them, as they were rubbing at the terminal stop.
was time to rotate tires, so when i had rear off, i checked on the pads same time.
they had maybe 3-4 mm of pad material left on them. wear indicators were getting close, but not close enough to make squeak.
hence, what i said - good brake work. on my book, those pads are kaput. not enough brake pad material left. when indicators start squeaking, my experience is, rotors get scratched. higher standard than manufacturer.
after i had new pads installed on all 4, as i rid of the rubbing ceramics and replaced them all with Japan made OEM replacement, brake pedal stays up much higher. and it makes sense, as it requires much less piston movement out of calipers, with added new pads thickness.
i am not removing that rotor and resurfacing it. ridge is so minute that fool i'll be to spend zoo-zoo on it. i just hoped someone else had similar experience. i lost count of pads i replaced, never seen anything like this. honestly, who cares, car stops on a dime. or is it turns on a dime? and stops on what?

Old 11-09-10, 12:24 PM
ukrbyk,

(Quote) should have taken pictures.

Still not too late, but only if you feel itís important enough. That being said (and donít take it the wrong way) but, weíre talking about your wife here. Does that fact mean that your children (if any) are transported in this vehicle as well?

(Quote) i had ceramics installed on the front end, and hated them.

Just curious as to why you would do this on a vehicle that calls for semi metallic pads all the way around? Stopping power is far more important than brake residue on a rim.

(Quote) and replaced them all with Japan made OEM replacement.

Next time use EBC, Raybestos, or Bembro.

(Quote) i am not removing that rotor and resurfacing it. ridge is so minute that fool i'll be to spend zoo-zoo on it.

Donít know what spend zoo-zoo means. Never heard that phrase before. Word spend doesnít sit well with me. Again donít take it the wrong way, but does spend mean you bare putting cost before the safety of your wife (and or children)?

Youíre talking to a man whoís been spinning wrenches for 66 years, and who has gone from 0-160 mph in less than 9 seconds. I know (all to well) the importance of stopping. Trust me, Iíve had my share of near misses, but because Iím smart and skilled, Iím still here to talk about it. Donít read into this the wrong way. Iím not blowing my own horn, or trying to insult you. Iíve read your posts and you appear to be a skilled individual. However to me it just sounds like you are putting the cost of resurfacing (or replacing) a rotor before the safety of your wife (and possibility your children).

Best Regards
Sam

Old 11-09-10, 07:40 PM
thank you.
oh well, have to type anything else to lengthen the message.

Old 11-10-10, 02:49 AM
thank you. oh well, have to type anything else to lengthen the message.

Yes

You forgot the question mark in your above quote.