Volvo at auction with no ignition key

Old 11-09-10, 07:53 PM
Volvo at auction with no ignition key

I'm considering bidding on a 1999 Volvo S70 at a mini storage auction. The title shouldn't be a problem but how difficult/expensive is it going to be to get a duplicate ignition key from a Volvo dealer?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-10, 08:57 PM
Difficult......Not at all....
A bit inconvienient maybe, but not difficult. Federal law requires picture identification, and Proof of ownership . The vin contains all the information necessary to procure a key from the dealer.

You will have to tow the vehicle to a Volvo dealership to Link the new key to the vehicle thru the security system.

Expensive......Ummmm......HELL YES...... expect upwards of 250$ for key cut and programmed....

Just a personal note....I would be a bit leary of a High end vehicle being purchased without being able to start it.......It isnt a Dodge Neon.....So you could easily bite off more than you can Chew.

Old 11-10-10, 02:50 AM
I'd would certainly be leary if I wasn't the resident manager of the storage facility and hadn't been around when the customer drove it in here. It's a very clean car but it does have 150,000 miles on it and it has been sitting in the same spot for two years. I know bad things an happen when a car sits for a long period of time. Tires and a battery are a given but if I stick to my guns and don't get caught up in the auction, it could be a good deal. I did a Carfax report on it. It was a lease vehicle for 5 1/2 years and was involved in an accident with minor damage to the driver's side fender. For the 5 1/2 years it was a lease it was meticulously maintained at the dealer. After the lease, when it was sold to the current owner, only 5000 miles were put on it because the owner lost a leg due to diabetes and couldn't drive.
So, I might take a shot at it.

Old 11-10-10, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No way for you to check it out without the key, but plan on a siren replacement (translated PITA). It is hidden under the pax tire shroud in an almost inaccessible place. I have said before in another post, it has a stack of batteries in it (apparently the numbnut who designed it thought they would last forever), and then they corrode, they take the printed circuit board with it. Along with the security system, also goes your sunroof, courtesy lights, door locks (which are not manual, but electric servo) and the LC rear view mirror. Minor inconveniences, but it's another $200 for the part plus labor.
Great cars. I own two of them. My 2001 S80 with twin turbo runs like a jet, but these small things just dampen the fun.
What do you think the bid will go at?

Old 11-10-10, 03:47 AM
Wouldn’t hurt to consult with a few locksmiths before venturing off to a dealer. Click on the link below.

Locksmiths Cecil County, MD - Emergency & 24 Hour Locksmith Services

Old 11-10-10, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
I bought an old Mustang the same way about a dozen years ago - since I was the only one at the auction who had seen it driven in to the storage facility, I was the only one who knew it ran. A new battery and set of keys, later, it was mine. Total cost about $350, including the title. Ran about a year and a half before the brake lines corroded and got rid of it. Very good investment, IMO.

Old 11-10-10, 09:36 AM
I don't entirely trust carfax myself. Bought a car that was supposedly one owner in Hawaii. When I got the car it had a Vermont title and 6 ownership transfers on it not counting dealers.

Old 11-11-10, 10:24 PM
Replace the siren? What siren?
I don't have a clue what it will end up going for but I believe I've decided not to go any higher han $500. It's going to cost at least $1000 (tires, battery, key, registration) to get it on the road so if I win it at $500 to me an eleven year old car isn't worth $1500. I don't even like the thing really, I'm a pick up truck kind of guy.
Someone mentioned a locksmith so I'll check them out, thanks.

Old 11-11-10, 10:32 PM
It shouldn't be too hard to make a good return on that. In my area, 11 year old Volvo V70wagon is worth anywhere from $2040 to $3015 according to kbb.com in my area. S70 wasn't mentioned on that site.

Old 11-12-10, 03:46 AM
The siren is hidden (apparently to keep thieves from disabling it) and it has battery back up. The batteries in my remote control last a few months, so I am not too sure what Volvo was thinking (or not). Anyway, as stated the circuit board that controls a sundry of items goes south and you are left with a large repair bill.
But, hey, $500 would be a deal, even if you had to put a couple of thousand into it. I bought my 2001 for about $6k a few months ago, with issues known. I found the original window sticker in the manual folder. Sticker price in 2001 was $43,000.
My other "car" is a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with a Cummins 5.9 5 speed, so I deserve a little comfort occasionally, and the Volvo gives that. But it is all relative.

Old 11-12-10, 05:50 AM
Volvos are great road trip cars, only thing to be careful of is the speedometer. They are so solidly built that the legal term racing feels like 65 mph.

Old 11-12-10, 08:27 PM
Well, nobody has said not to buy that POS so when the auction comes up (it has been delayed until the title comes in) I'll be sure to be there and give it a shot. $500 is my absolute limit though. I haven't paid more than $500 (give or take) for a vehicle since 1980 so I'm not about to start now. If I get it, I get it.
I told my cousin about it and he apparently talked to a friend who specializes in Volvos. He offered me $1000 sight unseen so the worst I can do is double my money.

Old 11-13-10, 03:30 AM
Go figure....one seat is worth $500, so you can't go wrong. especially with an open offer at the end. Who knows, you may luck up and get a great car!