rear drum brake problems

Old 11-10-10, 09:43 AM
rear drum brake problems

Hi, i was wondering how hard it is to remove and replace brake shoes on a 2000 ram 2500 diesel. I have a haynes book, but what it shows does not look like mine. And it only gives details on the 11'' ones but not the 13'' ones on mine. I've changed the shoes on town and country and disk brake pads, but this appears to be more complicated. Anyone know where one could get a step by step on this particular model truck.....thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-10, 12:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it truly drum brakes or is it disk brakes with parking brake shoes in a "hat"? The bigger trucks used disk brakes all around with an exception for a few.
I run a 2001 3500, and am having both rear rotors changed out as we type.

Old 11-10-10, 04:03 PM
definately drum brakes or brake shoes. I got the drums off and it turns out the shoes don't look that worn with about 5/16 '' of pad still good. My problem is that the left rear or drivers side rear wheel has started to be very sensitive to a light touch of the brake pedal. When the truck is cold like first thing in the morning especially, and move a little forward and touch the pedal that wheel will actually drag. But seems to work ok when the truck is driven a few miles. I'm thinking that the problem may be the wheel cylinder, because when the pedal is pressed it looks like only one of the pistons is comming out. So i guess tomorrow i will try to remove and replace both wheel cylinders. Does anyone know the correct procedure for bleeding the brakes on this truck. 2000 dodge 2500 5.9L cummins diesel.....thanks

Old 11-10-10, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nowadays there are bleeder "kits" that keep air from getting back into the system. I always ran a hose from the bleeder nipple into a jar of brake fluid. Took two people. Loosen bleeder, pump once, twice....check fluid in master cylinder. Pump until air was expelled. Do that on RR, LR, RF and LF in that order. Like I said, there may be easier ways to do it now, but it worked.
Incidentally what are you using for a lift pump? Stock or aftermarket? Curious.