Transmission fluid

Old 11-12-10, 06:10 AM
Transmission fluid

Dear Sirs,
I am trying to check my automatic transmission fluid on my 97 Tacoma because I feel it slip once in a while. When I was a young man, we used to check the fluid while the engine was running but that was quite awhile ago. Is it still done the same way or has the procedure changed? I put a qt. in but all I'm reading is the rub off from the dip tube. Thanks, JoeA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
There may be some cars that are done when not running, but I think the vast majority that still have dipsticks (some manufacturers have elimintated the dipstick) use the old fashioned way. Trying to remember what the stick looks like on my wife's Camry; I think it has two sets of notches - one for hot and one for cold - but the check is with the engine running as I recall.

Old 11-12-10, 01:59 PM
So, this Toyota ? auto transmission may have lost more than two quarts of ATF...
Do check for major leaks....little wonder she was slipping..

Old 11-12-10, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Could be a check with the engine of but, in my limited experience, I've never seen one you checked without the engine running

I agree, 2 quarts (or more) low is cause for concern

Old 11-12-10, 03:24 PM
Here is a complete instruction on how to check the transmission level.
How to Check the Transmission Fluid in a Tacoma | eHow.com

Old 11-12-10, 09:07 PM
Dear Sir

have two words for you: Lucas oil. buy can of Lucas transmission treatment and add to your trannie. be happy.

Lucas product is a very strong medicine.

Old 11-13-10, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) When I was a young man, we used to check the fluid while the engine was running but that was quite awhile ago. Is it still done the same way or has the procedure changed?

Still done the same way. Follow the already posted link.

(Quote) have two words for you: Lucas oil. buy can of Lucas transmission treatment and add to your trannie. be happy.

You may not be so happy. Products like Lucas have been linked to the destruction of fluid pumps (and other damage) inside a transaxle.

(Quote) Lucas product is a very strong medicine.

This is true. Lucas is strong medicine that can effectively damage your vehicles transaxle the first time you use it. This is because the passageways in your transaxle are not designed to handle the consistency of the Lucas product. Why do you think its called transmission fluid, and why do you think its consistency is so thin? It’s designed to flow and lubricate. Lucas (and products like it) will coagulate in the passageways and pump and do damage. All snake oils are “BS” nothing more than a waste of time and money. Using these products has been known to damage the very parts they were designed to help.

What’s the mileage on your Tacoma?
Is the fluid color a pinkish/red or is it brown/dark brown?
Pinkish/red is good.
Brown/dark brown means its burnt and time to change.

The maintenance for you transaxle is simple.

Keep the fluid level full.
Never over fill the fluid level.
Change fluid and filter screen every 30.000 miles.
Never do a transmission flush job.