Check Engine Lite

Old 11-12-10, 10:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Lite

I have a 2001 Tacoma with the engine light on, I had an auto parts store check for code, which is P0135. I have been told this might be the O2 sensor before the cat converter. Is this true and how would you know if it's not another problem. Thanks

Old 11-12-10, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PO135 is a reference to the front oxygen sensor on bank 1. The heated circuit within the oxygen sensor decreases the necessary time for the entrance into closed loop. As the oxygen sensors heater circuit reaches operating temperature, the sensor responds by switching based on the oxygen content of the surrounding exhaust. The PCM monitors, to see how long it takes for the O2 sensor to begin switching. If the PCM determines (based on coolant temp), that too much time has elapsed before the oxygen sensor has reached threshold, P0135 will set.

In other words the O2 sensors heater circuit has most likely failed.

Change the O2 sensor. Secondary to ruling out a circuit, wiring or connection issue. Just because a code is set doesn't mean that a sensor is bad. If the O2 proves defective, then do not use an aftermarket or universal sensor. Use only an “OE” sensor purchased from a dealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: