Grand Prix chirp from serpentine belt

Old 11-14-10, 11:21 AM
Grand Prix chirp from serpentine belt

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with 60000 miles. It has the 3800 v6, > no super charger. The motor has developed a loud chirping sound coming from the belt. I read on another forum that someone with a similar problem took the oil cap off to see if I could hear the noise coming from the valve train. The cap had a high vacuum, and as soon as they removed the cap the noise went away. They thought it was a vacuum leak somewhere. Another person responded it the pcv may have recently been out or replaced, and one of the o rings under the map sensor may be missing.

After reading this I removed my oil cap as well with similar results. Vacuum on cap, noise stopped also engine seemed to struggle for a second or two.

I replaced the pcv valve a couple weeks ago, I don't recall any seals, could this be my problem. Suggestion please and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-10, 11:36 AM
I just checked the pcv, there an o ring top of pvc housing which fit into the top that fits over the housing. No o ring noted nor appear to be required.

Old 11-14-10, 01:09 PM
belts don't chirp, they squeal.

bearings chirp. the usual suspects are alternator and idler pulley; less often, power steering and a/c clutch.

what you have done by removing oil cap is you let air into the system that is supposed to run on tight sealed circuit. that's why your engine struggled. that reduces rpms and torque applied to the belt and pullies. you see whare i'm headed to?

buy mechanics stetoscope, it's few bucks at schucks/o-reilley's and pinpoint the source.

if it's squeal, spray some belt ease on belt. if it fixed the issue, replace belt.

for 2003 and GM product, your tensioner pulley should have gauge on it, showing if belt is overstretched. look for a triangle pointing between 2 bars on tensioner housing.

Old 11-14-10, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) No o ring noted nor appear to be required.

Not under the PCV, but required under the Map Sensor.

Old 11-14-10, 02:25 PM
I think I fixed it w/ a second o-ring at the bottom of the lip a

I think I fixed it w/ a second o-ring at the bottom of the lip on the PVC valve. At least no more chirping

Old 11-14-10, 03:35 PM
Sorry Kennn,

Misread your post. Have to get a refund on that speed reading course I took. Two number 4’s (first image below) will fix the problem. Rather than use two, I just one “O Ring” that is thicker. Also make sure the grommet (orange piece) in second image is in place and not worn out.

Old 11-26-10, 03:32 AM
Hey kennn............has your belt noise gone?

Old 11-28-10, 12:40 PM
Yes i posted above, apparently I threw away an o-ring when I replaced the Pcv valve. It was the Pcv valve making the noise.

Old 11-28-10, 01:08 PM
Right it’s a common problem. You can still end up with a “Chirp” (vacuum leak) even if you reinstall the old “O Ring” on the "New PCV Valve". The PERMANENT repair for the issue is as “ASE Master” has stated.