Hyundai Accent burning oil

Old 11-14-10, 03:55 PM
Hyundai Accent burning oil

Hi,

My in-laws have a 2005 Hyundai Accent 1.6L that is burning oil. I did an oil change for them back about the middle of summer and went out to check the oil today and the dipstick indicated that the pan was empty. There are no signs of a leak anywhere around the engine or oil pan. The engine compartment is clean, as well as around the oil pan.

I have been reading a little about it and have come to the conclusion that it is probably going to be worn rings or valves.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-10, 06:58 PM
you will need to run a engine compression test to narrow it down, don't forget to check for smoke on startup after a cold soak, most likely will find worn valve seals. Check for oil being drawn up into the pcv valve, sometimes I have seen the baffles break out of valve covers and allow oil to be sucked into the pcv valve. Not likely but it does happen.

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Old 11-15-10, 10:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) I did an oil change for them back about the middle of summer and went out to check the oil today and the dipstick indicated that the pan was empty.

Middle of the summer
On a Hyundai?

Well, thatís the first problem. Hyundai and Kia have improved, but the engines in both are still basically crap.

The only way to deal with a crappy mass produced engine:

Is to change the oil and filter every 2000 miles. Use only Castrol GTX 5W-30 organic oil (no synthetic crap) and only Purolator Pure One oil filters. Also, donít drive the car hard or aggressively and never let it overheat, or drive it while itís overheated.

(Quote) There are no signs of a leak anywhere around the engine or oil pan. The engine compartment is clean, as well as around the oil pan.

Are you sure about that? Describe the test (or tests) that were done to rule out an external leak?

Any fluid that leaks in a vehicle can be very difficult (if not nearly) impossible to detect. Hence for the invention of leak detector kits. Buy the kit that appears in the link below. Donít use it until you steam clean the top and bottom of the engine. Steam cleaning enhances the results of the detection kit. Be sure to follow the instructions enclosed with the detection kit exactly.

A burning oil issue cannot present without signs and symptoms. That being said, Is there any colored smoke coming from the tailpipe, either when the engine is cold, warm, or at operating temperature? If yes post the color of the smoke. Also a burning oil issue will show up on the spark plugs. Obivisiouly that means you have to pull the plugs (in order) and post close-up pictures of the electrodes.

Iím busy right now. Check back (in about 2 hours) for a step by step walk through of a dry/wet compression test.

Click Below

Amazon.com: Cliplight Inc. 82KIT Professional All In One Leak Detection Kit: Automotive

Old 11-16-10, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Iím busy right now. Check back (in about 2 hours) for a step by step walk through of a dry/wet compression test.

Sorry this is arriving late, but yesterday I got really busy towards the end of the day. Click on the link below. It explains how to do a dry and wet compression test

Note: Wet is where (in the link) you are instructed to squirt oil into the cylinder.

Engine Compression Testing

Old 11-17-10, 06:50 AM
Most of the Korean cars even these days sell pretty cheap when new compared to others, and sell for even alot less than other similar products when used. Big depreciation hits on all of them. Ever wonder why that is? The answer is below. These guys copied alot from the Japanese but seem to have forgotten about copying the durability and reliabilty stuff most others have these days as their standard. I'd take a used Toyota or Honda any day over a new Kia, Daewoo, or Hyundai. At least with the Japanese products you pretty much know what you are getting and what you are paying for.

Old 11-20-10, 12:00 PM
the usual suspects will be:
1. valve cover seals and gasket. you do have plugs right in the middle of the valve cover, right? at least, i am yet to see and asian make with them on the side. pull ignition packs out and inspect tips; any oil on them? pull spark plugs out and inspect; fouled with oil where they are outside the engine block? that's your valve cover seals; fouled on electrodes? that's engine head gasket. but those deep shafts for spark plugs are notorious to have bad seals, and then oil sips through all over.
2. valve stem seals; asians just have them crappy, period. get that car on the freeway, and drive behind it. ask the other driver to step on accelerator hard; see blue smoke puff out of exhaust?

btw, some oils burn out faster than the others.

i do not believe it's piston rings. i am not saying it is not the case; i am saying - it's too young of an engine to be in such a bad shape.

i am assuming, it's out of 100K warranty?