99 vw golf diesel , how to change starter ?

Old 11-15-10, 04:00 AM
99 vw golf diesel , how to change starter ?

I have a 1999 vw golf and the starter miss's half the time when i try to start the car. I want to change it, any advice or instructions ?
this is a diesel.
thanks,
rickey

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-10, 06:55 AM
the starter miss's half the time when i try to start the car

Just to help everyone first understand clearly whether this is a truly a starter problem, what does this comment above mean? Nothing happens, starter turns on but does not catch the gear, turns too slow? etc. What diagnosis or checks have you already performed. In this forum usually we all try to confirm the true problem first rather than jump to what may not be the solution by only providing R&R service instructions. Would it make sense for you to replace the starter when the problem could be with wiring, an ignition switch or a relay for instance to name a few? More information will help others respond also.

Old 11-15-10, 12:21 PM
1999 vw golf diesel, 210,000 miles, starter will turn the engine and sometimes it will stop and I hear a terrible high pitched noise and I let go of the key.I can then try to start again and it may happen again or start. Owned the car for 4 years bought it with 112,00 miles Automatic transmission, this problem has been getting worse and stops more frequently. No engine lights are on, battery has always turned the engine with no problems. I was told by a vw tech it needs a starter.
Thanks,
Rickey

Old 11-15-10, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Weakest link in the chain breaks first
Links here are flywheel and starter
Weakest being starter
Given mileage
Sounds like starter issue
Still should rule out a flywheel issue

If starter?

Click below

| Repair Guides | Starting System | Starter | AutoZone.com

Old 11-17-10, 03:28 AM
I looked at the repair guide, I don't see removal for a diesel. I removed the battery, then the battery holder and the starter is under this . I removed the bottom bolt but can't get the top bolt out. Either the hole is threaded or is filled with crude . No room to tap it out. I will try this weekend again to remove. What am I looking for with the fly wheel ?
Thanks,
Rickey

Old 11-17-10, 03:38 AM
Abnormal wear or damage to any of the teeth of the gear that would not allow the starter gear to completely engage as it should when the flywheel is in that position for example.