Saw a car on Craigslist that advised transmission flush

Old 11-16-10, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Saw a car on Craigslist that advised transmission flush

Saw a car on craigslist. It is a 92 Accord with the 2.2L with the 4 speed auto w/OD. the engine and trans have 80 or 90k, body has 235k. The owner said it needed a transmission flush. Aren't those a big no-no? The possibility of trade intrigued me because it would be a gain of 5mpg according to Fuel Economy over my current car especially since my daily commute for work will be about 70 miles a day. Also figured front wheel drive would be better in snow than a Crown Victoria even with new tires.

the guy who posted this ad is also supposedly a mechanic according to another ad he had on craigslist. thank you much for any advice.

Last edited by NEsportsfan; 11-16-10 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 06:52 PM
I'd be leery. Know exactly what the transmission problems are.
The Honda units are not normally servicable..
Ask about this at a good dealer, but good luck on this one.

Old 11-16-10, 08:01 PM
Thank you, was not aware of Honda transmissions since I never owned a Honda, just heard good things about them.

Old 11-16-10, 08:15 PM
well, it depends how you flush. there's simple, but time taking, and super safe way of doing it.

now, let me put it this way. it's a honda, and most likely made in japan, for the year.
if he already had powertrain busted at only 235K miles, that car was abused. stay away.

craiglsit is craigslist. sellers are darn liers, period. so, unless it's 100% obvious mechanical issue, stay away from anything complex.

get a 95 civic, made in japan, v-tec engine. you just can't kill them. or, even better, hatch one. turtle looking. 45-48 mpg, run forever. of course, it's a big jump from crown vic, but i am 6'5'' and had 91 civic for over a year. took me a few mths, but i had legs position figured, and after that, she was more comfortable than my silverado. and still doing 38-40mpg. 300 bucks, he-he. oh, yeah, and i had that trannie flushed on her several times. she did not mind at all.

Old 11-17-10, 04:04 AM
Flushing may be an option, but believe me, if he were a mechanic worth his salt, he would flush it, and offer a complete product for sale. Telling you it needs a flush, tells me it needs a transmission. Just a little difference in translation.

Old 11-17-10, 07:11 AM
I'll stay away, I think especially since the ad also mentioned a crack in the windshield. The front end and tires were recently replaced on the car, so hopefully it will be okay in snow.

Old 11-17-10, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
My translation is pretty close to chandler's.

Old 11-17-10, 09:48 AM
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it probably is a ......

Old 11-17-10, 09:48 PM
Kinda reminds me of the old tractor I was trying to buy and the owner said "the engine is lightly stuck"
Dont buy something hoping it will get better. That is like marrying a woman hoping she wont change.

Old 11-18-10, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I took my run around car to the Volvo repair place the other day with a small coolant leak. With the engines packed in there, you just about can't see anything. He said to bring it back when I could let go of it for a day. He sagely said, "remember, it won't get better on it's own". Good advice.

Old 11-18-10, 10:56 AM
If your brakes are anything like the Volvo 240's of the mid '80's front brake pad chnging can be done in less than 15 minutes with hand tools including lifting up the car.

Old 11-19-10, 08:24 PM
NE, here's the wisdom about craigslist.

IF YOU HAVE SLIGHTEST DOUBT, MOVE AWAY. slightest. no one sells good cars, good cars are keepers.

2nd wisdom is

if you see a car that you like, there will be 2 more like it, at better price, on clist, in next 2 or 3 hrs.

3rd wisdom is

the very moment you bought it, you will see a better optioned one, with less miles, for 20% less.

this is why for clist, you keep nice chunk of cash on hand, cut wanted price by 30% at least, and it's "take it or keep selling" policy. and you stick to it. cash talks. folks came up with this for good reason.

Old 11-20-10, 03:42 AM
NESF, yep, changed wifey's 2007 S40 front pads yesterday. Took about 10 minutes per side. Two 7mm hex bolts, caliper was off. Rotor is held on by wheel believe it or not!
Actually took longer to get the pads from the parts store than it did to do the job. Looked up parts, got what was specified. Oops, 16 inch wheels rather than 15. Took back and got pads for 16" wheels. Oops, they had electronic sensor on them...wrong. Went back and got the 15" ones which matched. Makes me wonder why they have 15" brake system on 16" wheels.
Time to get pads 2 hours...install pads 30 minutes.....done.

Old 11-20-10, 09:34 AM
It's a used car, always a calculated risk. 90,000 miles is about the right time to flush the trans. If the guy is a mechanic knowing there was something wrong with the transmission, then why say a word?