changing spark plugs

Old 11-17-10, 08:05 AM
changing spark plugs

I have a 98 ford windstar.Should i use the specified spark plug or is there a better spark plug for fords.They book says autolite.What type plugs would you recommend as far as brand ,platinum ,etc?I'm thinking about trying this job myself,because unless you see it done you just don't know for sure. Thanks for any advice. This is the kind of jub you could put off forever on the back plugs.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-10, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Roeboat109 View Post
This is the kind of jub you could put off forever on the back plugs.
You can say that again. I think the general concensus is to use the factory brand becasue they are most closely engineered to work properly in your specific engine. Don't be surprised if this thread draws a lot of opinions.

Old 11-17-10, 09:25 AM
If the OEM set proves it can last 100K these days why change and gamble with potential problems? I am with the Tow Guy on this one, especially when changing some of them can be a real pain to get to.

Old 11-17-10, 09:47 AM
In more than one way.Its not any suprise to limit this job as much as possible if you read my drift.

Old 11-18-10, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sam, I'm curious, what's wrong with Bosch plugs? I've gotten better service out of bosch platinum plugs than any other although I've only used them older vehicles [1990 or older]. I'd use them in my 51 f1 and 53 NAA but apparently they don't make them to fit those 2 engines

Old 11-18-10, 02:28 PM
I would replace the plug wires as well. Cheap insurance just change them one at a time so you don't get them mixed up.

Old 11-18-10, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with the plug wires - not a lot of extra work to do it now compared to what it's going to take to get to those back 3 plugs

Old 11-18-10, 03:32 PM
not a lot of extra work to do it now compared to what it's going to take to get to those back 3 plugs
This is the kind of jub you could put off forever on the back plugs.
Aww Cmon now guys......Is there no one who has figured that out yet??????

Remove the wiper arms, lift the trim plate off, unplug the wiper motor connector......3 5/16 bolts on the left, 2 on the right, and 2 10 mm bolts in the center......Lift the wiper cowl out of the truck.........You may now change the rear plugs with a ratchet in your right hand ...and a cup of coffee in your left.../. The cowl removal takes 10 or 15 minutes.....but that time is easily made up during plug replacement....

Old 11-18-10, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
The cowl removal takes 10 or 15 minutes.....
Sure, even if it's that, it still makes changing the wires now worthwhile versus nearly a half hour to remove and then replace the cowl

Old 11-18-10, 09:12 PM
Aww Cmon now guys......Is there no one who has figured that out yet??????

Remove the wiper arms, lift the trim plate off, unplug the wiper motor connector......3 5/16 bolts on the left, 2 on the right, and 2 10 mm bolts in the center......Lift the wiper cowl out of the truck.........You may now change the rear plugs with a ratchet in your right hand ...and a cup of coffee in your left.../. The cowl removal takes 10 or 15 minutes.....but that time is easily made up during plug replacement....

got an easy one for plugs 2 and 4 on 3.0 Toyota V6, on 99 RX300? dealership charges $470 pretax. i have done it once myself, 45-50 minutes, it's a total b-ch to do.

Old 11-19-10, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unclediezel, wish it were that easy on the 67 ( I think) Chevy Nova with a V8. Had to release the motor mounts and lift the engine 6" to access #8. Aaaah engineers!!

Old 11-19-10, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Unclediezel, wish it were that easy on the 67 ( I think) Chevy Nova with a V8. Had to release the motor mounts and lift the engine 6" to access #8. Aaaah engineers!!
Larry, ever ask around to see if there was a better way? Or did you stuff a rat into that Nova?

Old 11-20-10, 03:48 AM
Had a job at a service station while in high school and did tune ups, etc. Hey, points, plugs, condenser, set timing, you're done. Not rocket science. EVERY V8 Nova that came in had Autolite, Champion, etc. plugs in 7 of the holes and one factory Delco (or whatever they called them) in #8. Only other way was to remove the heater core assembly which would have been a REAL pita. Engineer saw it as an engine. It fit in the hole. Who cared what surrounded it.

Old 11-20-10, 12:24 PM
Was this on the left side of the engine, or right side? I have had V-8's where I had to use a couple knuckled socket adapters to get to them say under steering linkage. I really did not think with cars of that era, with a stock engine, that anyone actually had to jack up engines to get out plugs.

ASE? Unc?

Old 11-20-10, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Oh...I remember some of those...though I thought it was more in the 64-65 years at least for the Chevy II. They started with the 283 and then put in a 327 (same block size) Things got bigger in 66-67 when they added the Chevelle and were cramming big blocks in. Once you put in a certain size block..then it was on for the street racers.

As I remember some of the baddest cars of the time were 65 ChevyIIs with bored and stroked 327's (up to about 400 ci I think) and 427 Chevelles. Some could be sleepers if they kept the old badges on 'em. Til you saw the wheel tubs cut out, 10" street slicks, and traction bars.

Old 11-20-10, 04:43 PM
I really did not think with cars of that era, with a stock engine, that anyone actually had to jack up engines to get out plugs.
Absolutely.....

The trick to doing the Nova's and ChevII......Cut a spark plug socket in half, and weld it to the box end of an 11/16 " wrench.....

An old girlfriend of mine had a Mercury Monarch with a 351 in it..... Drilled two 2" holes in the right side inner fender....And a Mastic "HVAC" patch to seal the holes..... So she could change her OWN plugs....

Old 11-20-10, 05:10 PM
Unc,

Now that is called 'thinking outside the box'. Something not everyone seems to be able to do.

Old 11-22-10, 04:38 PM
Believe it or not, I still have that concocted plug wrench in my tool box...

As for the Mercury Monarch......She finally sold it....and bought a Dodge OMNI.....

Old 11-22-10, 05:28 PM
I worked with a woman that had a company car. It was a "Gronarch". The trim on one side was for Grenada and the other side was a Monarch. Our mechanics that serviced it always said the trim mistakes were minor compared to the servicing problems. - After that she got a Cougar with a big engine (lots of cubic inches - 400+?).

She should never had been allowed to order a car or even drive one, but she was the secretary to the boss.

Dick

Old 11-24-10, 02:03 PM
Vic, "leaving the badges".....reminds me of my HS girlfriend. Her dad built their cars for them. I believe hers was a 57 Chevy, primed, not painted, and primed badly....lift the hood and put on sunglasses! Everythng was chrome, loomed wires, etc. 427 w/ 2 4bbls on progressive linkage. Outside a nondescript Chevy, almost ugly. Don't even try. She could smoke you in the first 50 feet.

Old 11-24-10, 06:33 PM
I was thinking about trying to get to the spark plugs from underneath the windstar but no way. Can't see how anyone could do that can't reach and too much in the way.
Thanks for cluing me in about the removing wiper and cowl method .The back passenger side plug is a stretch but very doable.the rest are cake.I ended up removing my cowl 3 times because when i tried the wipers nothing.I forgot to plug wipers back in. It was late and it happens"always to me seems like The plugs weren't really that bad but i changed them.I put new plug wires in and that really helped. I have 140,000 on now and i have rebuilt alt.and new battery thats it.I have changed my transmission fluid and filter 3 times now.I really believe that is the key to the windstars lasting. The trans.filter can be a b---tch to keep up when put on the pan. Other than that its not bad. Anyway thanks again for the advice.Have a nice holiday.

Old 11-25-10, 04:54 AM
Your're welcome
enjoy the holiday

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Old 11-25-10, 05:19 AM
Vic, "leaving the badges".....reminds me of my HS girlfriend. Her dad built their cars for them. I believe hers was a 57 Chevy, primed, not painted, and primed badly....lift the hood and put on sunglasses! Everythng was chrome, loomed wires, etc. 427 w/ 2 4bbls on progressive linkage. Outside a nondescript Chevy, almost ugly. Don't even try. She could smoke you in the first 50 feet.
As a Teenager, The local "Hot-Spot" for street racing was a few blocks from my house. There were two older guys there every weekend with a 70 Dodge Coronet, with all the Badges stripped off of it, and a 383 under the hood. Two blocks away,tucked neatly out of sight, behind a Dumpster was a 70 coronet same color, with the badges stripped off of it , and A fully worked Hemi under the hood.

Get the Picture..

Old 11-25-10, 06:10 AM
two older guys
70 Dodge Coronet
383 under the hood
70 coronet and a fully worked Hemi under the hood.

?????

Diexel,

Did one of the guys look like the guy below in the white shirt.

Halloween party 2009
didnít wear a costume
don't need one
dress like that
all the time no
party this year

Old 11-25-10, 05:36 PM
Two blocks away,tucked neatly out of sight, behind a Dumpster was a 70 coronet same color, with the badges stripped off of it , and A fully worked Hemi under the hood.

Get the Picture..
Yes I do. Reminds me of the crafty racer I met who had this junker with a big engine and nitrous hook-up and would race guys for money.