'99 Pontiac Bonneville

Old 11-17-10, 12:33 PM
'99 Pontiac Bonneville

Hello, I have a question, the air conditioning in my car stopped working, like six months ago it only started to work on the highest setting, if you moved the control to a lower setting didn't work, and like a week ago it started not to work even at the highest setting, if I play with it going back and forth at the control knob several times it will start, sometimes it keeps working until I turn it off but sometimes it will stop working and I need to do the same thing going back and forth again until it works; any advice on what to check or what to do I will appreciate it.

Pontiac Bonneville
6 cylinders
NOT the supercharged

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-10, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like the switch is just worn out. The contacts inside are maybe worn flat or corroded so that it only works when you get it into a position for a halfway decent contact. Depending on how accessible the switch is (and how expen$ive) replacing it may be possible. One thing you might try that doesn't cost anything is moving the switch/knob through its full range of motion continuously for a couple of minutes. If it's a case of dirt/corrosion in the switch, that may clean it up a bit or at least tell you if you are on the right track if you get some improvement. The fan speed switch on my wrecker is a side-to-side type (vice rotary) and it wore out a couple of years ago so that only the low speed works; I engineered a rocker switch in the dash panel that powers up the high speed, but that's more a work-around than a fix.

Old 11-17-10, 04:19 PM
Another concideration is the blower motor resistor, when it fails you will have only HIGH speed. You may have 2 issues, based on your description it could now be the switch too. Maybe it has burned completely open and now nothing works.

Also try and wiggle the plug on the blower resistor, I had a loose connection on mine in my Tacoma. The resistor is typically mounted in the ductwork up under the passenger side foot well. If the connector is faulty, you will see a brown streak up the side of the plug. If you wiggle it and the fan starts, remove the plug and put something like a dental tool down beside it and bend it inward. The connector contact is like a V or U and the prongs will spread outward causing a loose contact and it will be evident by heat marks or streaks.

Replacing the resistor is a snap... unless you have an Olds Alero... they put it so close to the floor that it made it almost impossible to remove the screws.

Check this link and maybe it will help:

View topic - Heater Blower Motor Failure : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com

Old 11-18-10, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, HotRod; I initally thought of the resistor, too, but thought it sounded more like switch. Pays to check both, though.

Old 11-18-10, 09:09 AM
Thanks the_tow_guy, I did what you said about moving the switch knob back and forth for a few minutes and it didn't work, before I did that the high setting stopped working too. I will try the resistor today and see how it goes. If I want to take a look at the switch is it really hard to take the panel apart to have access to it?.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-10, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
That varies from car to car depending on how it's mounted. The panel in my truck is a serious PITA, plus I'm pretty sure the switch is not replaceable and requires the entire control to be replaced. That's why I opted for the workaround, but of course I don't have to worry much about the asthetics.