1994 Honda Civic (4-door) Right Front Fender Replacement

Old 11-18-10, 02:06 PM
1994 Honda Civic (4-door) Right Front Fender Replacement

Hi:

I want to replace the right front fender myself (to save money, of course! fender is very rusty) and I was wondering if I could do it without removing the wheel (no garage, jack, etc.). Also, I have the service manual and it shows everything about this car except where the bolts are for removing the fender and the wheel guard thingee. I can see bolts there to unscrew but am I going to make the front end drop off if I take off the wrong bolts (so to speak)?! I thought it would be wiser to inform myself first before I start something I can't finish ...

Thanks!

Suessy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-10, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
No body guy here but I would imagine there is work to do around the wheel well which would be much easier with the wheel gone

This is why you buy a case of beer and invite your handiest neighbor over to help

Old 11-18-10, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Replacing a fender is pretty straight forward. You won't be affecting any of the front end parts, all that type of stuff is bolted to the frame. I'm not familiar with that particular car but you can probably do the job without removing the wheel..... but as MItch said, it might be easier with it out of the way.

Old 11-18-10, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
I agree; while it might be possible, it's likely that there will be at least a couple of screws or small bolts that will come out much easier minus the tire/wheel.

Old 11-18-10, 09:07 PM
go for it.
10mm bolts under the hood, along the fender edge; 2 i think hidden behind the front door, you must have it wide open to get them; tire well cover should be just clips to remove. but save them, as you will need them to reinstall everything, so careful. last civic i had, had cute little plastic bolts, they were very nice to take out, but they might have improved them on yours. worse come to worse, you can buy some at parts store.
should be 2 more in the front, i think, right behind the headlight and one or two connecting to bumper. those are b-ches to reach.
i had my son's one out on 95 civic, to repaint. it was not hard at all.
certifit has the best prices, new fender is about 20 bucks. but they cover it with something, wax or such, to prevent corrosion, so paint does not stick. needs to be very well washed before priming.

Old 11-19-10, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Suessy and welcome to the forum,

(Question) I was wondering if I could do it without removing the wheel

Sorry Suessy, but youíre going to have to borrow, jack and wheel stand. One stand is all you need. The wheel has to come off.

Jack up the car high enough to get the stand under the cross member. Donít place stand anywhere else except under a solid part of the cross member.

Now slowly and carefully lower the jack till the car comes to rest on the stand.

Never work under a car that is supported by just a jack.

(Question) shows everything about this car except where the bolts are for removing the fender and the wheel guard thingee.

The bolts that hold on the fender are in the engine compartment. Open the hood and look along the top edge of the fender and youíll see a few 10mm bolts. There are also two (one on the top and one on the bottom) of the fender that have to be removed with the door open.

The wheel guard is held in place with plastic fasteners and plastic philips screws. Look at inner portion of the wheel liner, from left to right. Youíll the heads of the philips screws.

Look at the diagram below. The parts numbered 8 are 10mm bolts that must be removed.

There are also two bolts (one on top and one on the bottom)of the fender, that get removed with the door open.

The rest of the numbers are plastic clips with plastic Philips screws that must also be removed.

Last edited by ASE MASTER; 11-19-10 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 09:19 AM
Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies! Mitch - you are terrific! Neighbors where I live aren't an option for doing the work but I can certainly borrow the jack and a wheel stand (I may even invest in a jack - I really need one at this point in my car's life).

And ukrbyk - thanks - I am thinking of buying the fender from a local used car parts guy who is out in the country with a couple of acres of old cars and car parts for sale, not a city store guy so the wax coat won't be a problem. Here in Canada the cheapest you can get is $50 CDN.

The diagram was just what I needed and I will check also for bolts where ukrbyk said they'd be. Just in case anyone is interested, I should be getting to this hopefully in the next month or six weeks (hopefully also before any significant snow starts!) and will send pictures if I can!

Suessy

Old 11-19-10, 09:45 AM
ASEMASTER - I loved Mitch's 'neighbor' idea but you I have to thank for the precise instructions, sorry about that! I am really happy with them - am printing them out now!

Take care,

Suessy

Old 11-19-10, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No problem
Suessy good
luck and
best regards

Sam