2007 caravan waterpump

Old 11-20-10, 02:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 caravan waterpump

Can anyone tell me how to change the waterpump on a Grand Caravan 3.8 engine?Thank u!

Old 11-20-10, 04:06 PM
B
go to autozone.com, register, and look up repair guide for your vehicle. It is all there for free with pictures.

Old 11-20-10, 05:43 PM
J
Thank you Bob,but Autozone didnt have any info for my vehicle!

Old 11-20-10, 05:47 PM
B
I was there and saw the instructions for your vehicle. Try again.

Old 11-21-10, 04:23 PM
J
Question

Bob ,still couldnt find it,soI called Autozone,the guy I talked to said it was pretty easy to do,but I found that not to be true,I took the pulley off&the belt,but the pulley is wedged between the frame &the waterpump,&the bolts in the waterpump were very hard to get to with that pulley in the way,I was using a 10mm socket1/4inch drive,but couldnt get the top bolt off,so went out&got a10mm open end wrench,finally got it out slowly one turn at a time,pain in the butt!Now I have the waterpump & pulley unbolted,but they are both wedged in between the frame&I cant get them out,any suggestions would be helpful!THANKS,Jim

Old 11-21-10, 05:05 PM
2 things from here...

From the bottom.... a Prybar and a 2x4.....Pry the engine away from the frame, and place the 2x4 between the frame, and the belt tensioner bolt..(I usually Use a Hammer handle).

#2) ..The pulley stays on the pump...thats what the three "Wing Shaped Slots" are for...It lays over th flange and slides back.....

Make sure the pulley is over the flange on the new pump B-E-F-O-R-E you put it in the car.......It WILL-NOT fit if you try to put it in after the fact.

"Dealership-Time" for this pump is 8/10 ths of an hour......So it isnt rocket science.....Take your time, and it is very do-able.

Old 11-22-10, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I looked it up on autozone, too. It isn't shown under "Dodge Caravan"; that listing doesn't show the 3.8. But if you look under Chrylser Town and Country it shows the 3.8. Actually it shows the 3.3 & 3.8L which I'm assuming is essentially the same configuration (I'm not a MOPAR guy except to tow them).

Old 11-22-10, 12:14 PM
B
3.3L & 3.8L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTE
To remove the water pump it must be positioned between the pump housing and the drive hub. Refer to the accompanying illustration for further clarification.

Negative battery cable

Right inner splash shield

Accessory drive belt

Water pump pulley bolts

Water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between the hub and pump body

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The water pump must be positioned between the pump housing and the drive hub so it can be removed-3.3L and 3.8L engines

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

New seal into the water pump housing groove

Water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between the hub and pump body. Tighten the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

Water pump pulley and tighten the bolts to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm). Rotate the pump by hand to make sure it moves freely.

Accessory drive belt

Negative battery cable

2. Fill the cooling system.

3. Start the engine and check for leaks.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTE
To remove the water pump it must be positioned between the pump housing and the drive hub. Refer to the accompanying illustration for further clarification.

Negative battery cable

Accessory drive belt

Water pump pulley bolts

Water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between the hub and pump body

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The water pump must be positioned between the pump housing and the drive hub so it can be removed-3.3L and 3.8L engines

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

New seal into the water pump housing groove

Water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between the hub and pump body. Tighten the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

Water pump pulley and tighten the bolts to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm). Rotate the pump by hand to make sure it moves freely.

Accessory drive belt

Negative battery cable

2. Fill the cooling system.

3. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Old 11-22-10, 04:28 PM
Sorry...but.....Never gonna happen... even with the pulley between the housing and drive hub, there isnt enough room to remove the pump.....And you WILL break the impeller going back in.....

Either wedge something between the engine and r/s framing, or remove the r/s motor mount. and allow the engine to drop down...(Not recommended outside of a shop environment)..

Old 11-22-10, 04:48 PM
B
Unc,
These instructions were from the autozone site for the 3.8 liter. Your experience trumps it for sure!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: