'02 Chevy Impala lost dash lights

Old 11-22-10, 09:15 AM
'02 Chevy Impala lost dash lights

This Impala has the automatic lights with a sensor in the middle of the dash up near the windshield. All the functions of the daytime driving lights are working as designed and the headlights come on properly in darkness. The display on the radio and the gear indicator on the dash will dim when the headlights come on, also as designed. All this functions properly but the dash lights are not on at all.

I have checked all the fuses and found that I have proper voltage on both legs of the fuse that covers the instrument panel, but... I do NOT have any voltage on either side of the fuse for the lighting on the steering wheel.

I have my own brilliant deduction (LOL!) on what to do, but before I buy the part and replace it, I wanted to see if someone else might come up with the same result. Thanks for anything you can tell me on this!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-10, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dimmer switch? ....................................

Old 11-22-10, 08:46 PM
well, hate to say this, but GM had ton of issues with instrument clusters, also known as dashboards. there were recalls on some other models. just my 2 pennies.

Old 11-24-10, 08:35 AM
yeah... my brilliant deduction would be the switch also. I am not familiar with taking dash components apart and therefore, hate doing so, so I'll be dragging my feet on this as much as possible. Anyway, I will do some testing on the switch once I get it out, but since I have no voltage feeding the fuse for the lighting on the steering wheel, I'm running with the assumption that it isn't being fed from the dimmer circuit in the switch for the headlamp/parking light circuit.

In the meantime, I'll check for any recalls and hope THEY have one that will result in a new switch!!! Riiiiiiiight.......

Old 11-24-10, 10:33 AM
Sometimes, with these dimmer switches or rheostats, one can tap on them (vibrations) and cause them to work a-new...same thing applies to bulb filaments.
Replace the item if this works, it will just "die" again, and soon.

Old 11-25-10, 07:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Itís an unstable voltage regulator issue within the instrument cluster. A few TSBís are out for the problem, but I donít have any of them. Sorry. To get the TSBís, have a dealer run your VIN.