F-150 Ford Truck engine won't turn over

Old 11-23-10, 02:24 PM
F-150 Ford Truck engine won't turn over

Hello, I have a 95 F-150 Ford truck bought new. It is in terrific shape with 48,000 orignal miles on it. I am 6 minutes to work. I mostly park it in the summer and drive my car. Have never had a problem with it not starting. I have it serviced with oil changes, fluids and tune-up every fall since I purchased it. However, I had a oil leak in May, 2010 and took it in and they fixed the leak. I also had them put a new battery in and rotate my tires. I parked it until about October 1st, 2010 and put it back on the road. I did not take it in this fall as it had been parked most of summer and had my big tune up in May, 2010. Today, it will not start. The engine cranks but it doesn't turn over. I put my battery charger to it, thinking maybe I got a bad battery but it still doesn't turn over. I've got all my lights, flashers and turn signals. If I can get it started I can take it in. I really topped the gas off on both tanks a couple days ago. Just say'in. I have driven it since October with no problem. I did not get a check engine lite. Is there something I can check(double) to help diagnose why it won't start? Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-10, 02:38 PM
Does the check engine light come on when you first turn on the ignition?????

Old 11-23-10, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
And can you hear the fuel pump hum when you first turn the key on?

Old 11-23-10, 02:51 PM
The check engine comes on with the first turn of the key but disappears when I turn it all the way where the engine cranks but still does not turn over. The battery icon, the brake icon and (ABS) icon stay on while trying to turn over.

No, I don't seem to hear it. The bell was going off the first time so tried again and shut the door quickly but not sure I hear it when I got up to the hood.

Old 11-23-10, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Just to clarify terminologies, when you turn the key the engine spins but doesn't fire?

Diezel, you're thinking dead computer?

Old 11-23-10, 03:04 PM
Yes, When I turn the key all the way, the engine does spin(crank) but it does not fire (turn over).

Old 11-23-10, 03:08 PM
Diezel, you're thinking dead computer?
Not anymore...

Ford , in their infinite Wisdom, put the power relay for the ECA system in the direct path of water run off from the ho0d seam.

If the light doesnt come on with Ignition, either the bulb is burned out, or ECA is not being powered up.

Just the first "QUICK AND EASY" thing to check before getting involved.

Remember....Always check the Simple, BEFORE the SUBLIME.

Now, To the basics...."EARTH,WIND,AND FIRE.....
Are the battery cables clean and tight, and ALL pigtails secured?
Grab an assistant.....DO you have a spark from the coil while cranking,?, Check at the schrader test port on the fuel rail while cranking, do you have fuel supply?

Old 11-23-10, 03:21 PM
It has been cold/snow here but the last two days it has been way warm at about 33 degrees outside and is pooring rain. It is sheet ice on the roads. There is sheet ice melting from my truck hood. The rain and ice are really bad here. Our schools have been closed for 2 days. Worst I've seen it in years. Is that what you mean by the hood seam leaking? Something getting wet?

Old 11-23-10, 03:35 PM
The battery cables are good and tight. No extra bodies at my house. All the assistants I know want to be paid for their time. When things dry out, is there a chance that it will start? If not, I should get it towed to the dealer. Good gawd, they will done me even more about buying something new. ugh..... Couldn't hardly get away from my dealer counterman last time wanting me to look at new.

What is an ECA system?

Old 11-24-10, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Electronic control assembly; had to look that one up while Diezel was sleeping late this morning.

Dealership for work on a 15 year old F150? No decent independents up there?

Old 11-24-10, 10:49 AM
It was under warranty for many years, and many miles......seems..... Their oil changes are the same price as any other around town. Have only needed extra work just this year after 15 years. These charges were not out-of-line. Very important also, they take me to work and come get me in the evening. The dealer has been real fair here. I have other vehicles with them as well. Because they have bugged me about getting into something newer earlier, I am on the look out for an honest mechanic. The two good honest shops are very popular and wait listed but I am looking. I am retired now so I have time to chase this out. You guys have given me some great information here. I appreciate all your help very much. I will find the ECA close to the hood seem and delicately dry it out, under cover, if possible. I have a F-150 Ford diagram CD that came with the truck. It should tell me which side, driver's or passenger's side of truck. Thanks for all your present and past help.

P.S. How does one interview for an honest mechanic? I am not coming to them with the newest, latest, or greatest.

Old 11-25-10, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is spark reaching all the plugs?
Is fuel reaching all the plugs?
Are all the injectors firing?

Old 11-26-10, 06:24 AM
Ford wont start

P.S. How does one interview for an honest mechanic? I am not coming to them with the newest, latest, or greatest.

Talk to your friends if one name keeps comming up thats your guy. I worked in a small community where you didnt read the paper to see who done what, but to see who got caught at it.

Old 11-26-10, 01:09 PM
F-150 Ford Pick-up Elect. Control Assembly directly under hood seam gets wet

Hey Everyone, Didn't do anything with it on 11-24-10, my last post and nothing on the 25th, Thanksgiving Day. It finally got colder and we had lots of snow on Thanksgiving. This morning, it cranked right over and I never got under the hood. Everything lights and plays except the heater. I have fuses and my book and will change that out soon. It must have been the ECA.......DID........get wet from all the warm weather we've had. It had been 35-36 degrees and pooring rain. One big, ugly melt-fest here. Today, back to normal cold at 25 degrees. I could at least get it out of the drive-way to plow snow. I called Ford and asked about the electronics being in the path of the hood seam and the service guy said 'The electronics are in the same place on 'ALL' vehicles. He said there was no way to move it because the leads and straps are dedicated lengths and will probably not move far either direction. He was aware of what I was talking about. He wanted me, of course, to come in and have it looked at. However, if he can't moved it out of the drip path, then there is no reason to take it in to him. I haven't been under the hood today but will look and see if I can maybe drape the area with some plastic or something. Give it a little roof of some kind. First time this truck has not started....less battery. This was good and timely information you gave. You guys with all your great info, really, really, really 'rock the neighborhood!!' Thank You!

I have my new mechanic all picked out. Thanks!