All Terain Tires - 96 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 11-26-10, 04:56 PM
All Terain Tires - 96 GMC Yukon 4x4

I have "All Terain T/A" tires with approx. 1/8-1/4 tread. I need new tires, yet with so many brands, I'm a bit confused. We usually buy our tires from Big-O and they haven't steered us wrong. Is there any reason why I couldn't go to an off brand/Big O instead of a name brand? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-10, 09:07 PM
You will get all kinds of answers on this one. If you have had good luck where you have been dealing why change?

Old 11-26-10, 09:16 PM
retired wrench - I have moved to another state, but wanted to use Big O again. Question is, what about tire brands? That really is my concern more than anything else. Thanks for that info.

Old 11-27-10, 08:06 PM
I am not a tire guy so I just grit my teeth and buy Micheilins and have had great luck.

Old 11-28-10, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My local tire guy always does me right so I seldom check anywhere else but if you call around and get prices and brands - then you can do a web search to see how folks like those tires. You'll get comments on both how well they preform and approximate mileage.

Old 11-28-10, 05:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
chilly.az.girl,

You can stay with "Big O", but if you want to make a switch, the tires below are the "ONLY" tires to use on any vehicle.

Hankook
Uniroyal
Cooper
Dunlop
Falken

Old 12-10-10, 09:49 AM
after recently going through this .....I found that you have to do your own research they now don't rate the tire as they use to ,frankly the tire people out there are not as talented any more- I was told 50000 mile tire and manufacture said 35000 (cost difference). Cheapest is necessarily the best compare apples to apples. Ask to see manufactures spec's .
If mile wear and A/T is important to you get the brand and model go to manufacturers site or Google it to see ratings.So when you talk with tire dealers you know some of the answers and what questions to ask.
Car type(your make) and use type ( city,highway,off road) are important considerations that effect the performance use.
I like A/T usually better ware may not get the best gas mileage depending how aggressive tread design is.
Good luck

Old 12-10-10, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
I buy my tires from tirerack.com and they have customer reviews, which I often find helpful

Old 12-10-10, 07:01 PM
Old 12-10-10, 08:28 PM
Thanks Everyone for the feedback.. I'm glad to have a source to bounce off questions and such.