Ford 3.8 engine will not crank

Old 11-27-10, 12:15 PM
Ford 3.8 engine will not crank

The problem started with a hickup while going down the road. I had a loose battery terminal, changed that and now nothing. I replaced the battery with a new one, installed a new alternator. The engine can be jump started, as soon as any assessories are turned on it kicks off. upon trying to restart , nothing, no lights nothing at all. Once started and turned off it will not restart. Any help would be great..It is in a 1996 Ford Windstar, 3.8

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-10, 03:57 PM
Wuth a Multimeter on resistance scale, Check continuity between the battery posts and the battery "Terminals". You have a loose connection in the battery "Feed " ckt.

Also check the negative cable at the engine block...( Did you possibly miss one of the ground pigtails when you replaced the terminal?)

Old 11-27-10, 04:20 PM
just for my understanding. you can jump start the engine and it will run, so alternator is providing just enough power to run it. any additional power demand will kill the engine?
loose terminal as in one on the cable terminals? i encountered them loose both ways, on cables and on battery. just one, but i did.
battery was replaced with a new - as in brand new from the store or a known good used one?
alternator was replaced with a new as in new from a store, or used one? there was Al's Auto Supply around here, i had THREE faulty alternators out of da box in single night from them.
electrical stuff is not my forte, but so far, it sounds like you have nowhere enough power coming out of alternator; no charge to battery; no backfeed from battery to starter.
get engine running and check alternator output. on ALTERNATOR terminals. should be around 14V.
uncle sounds right, no continuity in battery feed circuit. this should explain no charge to battery and no backfeed from it. but will not explain why engine dies if you turn any appliance on. alternator should run everything by itself, i had fooled with this before. loose belt?

Old 11-27-10, 05:50 PM
Try this,

Take the Jumper cables, and using only the black clamps, Jump from Negative battery to a convienient spot on the engine...(Alternator bracket usually works well.) and see if power returns after shutoff....

As for electrical load......Yes it will shut the car down. ....All electrical equipment requires BOTH a (+) and a (-) to function. If the ground path were removed from the vehicle, All current flow would "CEASE TO EXIST" so to speak.

I'm almost banking on a loose eyelet where the negative cable meets the block.

Old 11-28-10, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once started and turned off it will not restart.

Ok, but does not restart mean that the engine won't even "Crank"? Is the engine "Cranking" and not turning over, or is it not even "Cranking"?. Have you ruled out some sort of electrical problem that keeps blowing a fuse, circuit breaker, or fusible link. A defective ignition switch also has to be ruled out.

Old 11-29-10, 04:45 PM
Found the problem, Cleaned the cables and double checked all connections and it works fine. I recon one of the connections had just enough corrosion to keep it from getting full contact to complete the flow. When I say it would not crank I got nothing no light nothing at all. Now it is all good, Thanks folks for the input.

Old 11-29-10, 06:35 PM
whoo - hoo! good for you. all you need to do now is to give battery and cable terminals good scraping, set them well back on battery terminals, AND SPRAY WITH THAT PURPLE ELECTRICAL SEALANT LIBERALLY.

Old 12-03-10, 04:21 PM
Sorry I have been out for a bit........

A few days ago , a fellow member here PM'd me with a "Discussion" related to this vehicle, And without stepping out of line, Since there was a "Very Valid " point brought up in the discussion, I will offer an answer....

Why does adding electrical load to an ungrounded (Or Poorly grounded)
system "Shut the car down" when the alternator is more than capable of supplying enough current??????

Since The question backs up everything I ever learned, and this situation defies that logic.....

Your Charging system ...in and of itself, is a LOAD of its own..... Alternator produces voltage and current to charge the battery, and operate engine controls and accesories.......

VOLTAGE REGULATOR varies Voltage to a suitable level based upon demand........The Alternator can only produce what the regulator allows......So If regulator isnt properly connected to a VOLTAGE SOURCE of its own, System Voltage will suffer....To the point where alternator can no longer adequately fulfill his obligations, and the car dies.....

Since there is no longer an EXTERNAL power source connected to the system......at this point you have Nothing to supply voltage or current to the essential systems......and it doesnt restart.....