Changing spark plugs on a 2001 toyota rav4

Old 11-20-10, 02:36 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing spark plugs on a 2001 toyota rav4

Dear Responder
I have a 2001 RAV4 with 70,000 miles and would like to change the spark plugs. Having changed many spark plugs on older US cars, I am having a bit of a problem identifying where the spark plugs are on this car--concerned about mixing them up with the oxygen sensors.
Could you please direct me to a cite where I can get a diagram or picture of where these spark plugs are? Also, could you please give me some advise as to which iridium spark plugs would be best--fused, laser or just plain iridium?

Thanks!!

Old 11-20-10, 04:00 PM
B
go to autozone.com and register. They've illustrated guides for your vehicle.
I'd use whatever toyota recommends. Why do you want iridium plugs?

Old 11-20-10, 06:21 PM
E
Thanks bob22--
I actually started looking at autozone.com as a registered user, but their website only gave a general drawing of the spark plug in the ignition circuit (and it was for 6-cylinder).

I want to use the iridiums because that's what the 2011 Toyota Owner's Manual recommends.

EDTA

Old 11-20-10, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
EDTA,

(Question) Could you please direct me to a cite where I can get a diagram or picture of where these spark plugs are?

You don't need a website

Part number 9 in the image below is the intake manifold. There are 4 plugs that install through the manifold. Open the hood and look for the 4 ignition cables coming out of the top of the manifold. There is 1 plug connected to and (under) each ignition cable. You have to disconnect the ignition cable from each plug in order to change the plugs. To disconnect simply pull up on each ignition cable with your hand.

Use the "OE" plug below

NGK
LASER IRIDIUM
Plug number IFR6T11
Gap is 44

Tools necessary for removing spark plugs

5/8 Spark Plug Socket with rubber insert for hold plug
3/8 Ratchet
3/8 Extension Bars

(Images Below)

Brought to you courtesy of the UNITES STATES MARINE CORPS.
Welcome to the best auto repair forum on the web.

Old 11-20-10, 09:10 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
oh my

you have black plastic air filter container sitting on top of VALVE COVER. it's not V6, so no air intake manifold there.
it needs to be removed to access ignition packs; ignition packs are rectangular boxes with wire connectors; spark plugs are deep inside the spark plug wells, at the end of ignition pack.
careful undoing ignition pack harness clips, they snap easy.
same time, lubricate plugs with dialectric grease before reinstall; same goes for spark plug tips. new spark plugs thread needs to be coated some with anti seize compound. not too much, just a narrow strip.

here's a fellow owner who did write up on this:

Replacing the spark plugs on the Rav4 is a bit harder then on many other vehicles. You start by removing the air filter holder. I have been able to get by removing only the front half of the air filter holder. Once this is done there are 4 holders in the center of the valve cover. Each has a 10 mm screw holding them in. Remove the screws and then pull the plug connectors out of the holes. The spark plugs take a 5/8" spark plug socket to remove them. You will also need a fairly long extension to reach the plugs. I prefer a 6" extension and a swivel head ratchet. If you find oil in the holes that indicates the seal for the valve cover wasn't installed properly. Normally you will have to replace the gasket to stop the leak. This isn't something for the non-mechanically minded people. I have found the spark plugs sold by Toyota are rated to last about 90k miles. They generally also will give you about 1 to 2 miles per gallon better mileage than the auto parts store's version. The auto part store version normally only last 30k. When replacing the screws to hold the holders, don't over tighten them. They can crack and then you will have to replact them. They aren't very cheap. Also start the bolts by hand to make sure you don't cross thread them. They are steel screws and are going into Alum. I hope this helps a bit.

what he calls holders are ignition packs. 10mm screws are ones that hold ignition pack in place "by ear". valve cover has round seals to prevent oil from leaking into plug wells. should plugs be fouled with oil ON THE OUTSIDE, then that seal is bad. needs to be replaced. valve cover needs to be removed, cleaned completely, and all seals and long rectangular gasket replaced with new ones. red silicon is a good additional sealant to apply to gasket.

good luck.

Old 11-27-10, 01:39 PM
E
Many Thanks, ukrbyk--
With the Rav4 having 70,000 miles on it and running well, it seems I could hold off until the Spring to change the spark plugs. I will then follow your detailed response.

EDTA

Old 11-27-10, 04:46 PM
you are welcome.

have fun. easy job.

Old 12-02-10, 12:07 PM
D
Oh my goodness I hope I’m not too late!

EDTA,

My brother owns a 2001 RAV-4. For the sake of accurate information, and so you don’t run into any problems when changing the plugs in your RAV-4, I’m correcting some incorrect information that has been posted here. Anything you see highlighted in blue is wrong. My comments are in black.

Part number 9 in the image below is the “Intake Manifold”.

No it isn’t. This information is wrong. Part number 9 is the VALVE COVER.

Replacing the spark plugs on the Rav4 is a bit harder then on many other vehicles. You start by removing the air filter holder. I have been able to get by removing only the front half of the air filter holder. Once this is done there are 4 holders in the center of the valve cover. Each has a 10 mm screw holding them in. Remove the screws and then pull the plug connectors out of the holes. The spark plugs take a 5/8" spark plug socket to remove them. You will also need a fairly long extension to reach the plugs. I prefer a 6" extension and a swivel head ratchet. If you find oil in the holes that indicates the seal for the valve cover wasn't installed properly. Normally you will have to replace the gasket to stop the leak. This isn't something for the non-mechanically minded people. I have found the spark plugs sold by Toyota are rated to last about 90k miles. They generally also will give you about 1 to 2 miles per gallon better mileage than the auto parts store's version. The auto part store version normally only last 30k. When replacing the screws to hold the holders, don't over tighten them. They can crack and then you will have to replace them. They aren't very cheap. Also start the bolts by hand to make sure you don't cross thread them. They are steel screws and are going into Alum. I hope this helps a bit.

What he calls holders are ignition packs. 10mm screws are ones that hold ignition pack in place "by ear". valve cover has round seals to prevent oil from leaking into plug wells. should plugs be fouled with oil ON THE OUTSIDE, then that seal is bad. needs to be replaced. valve cover needs to be removed, cleaned completely, and all seals and long rectangular gasket replaced with new ones. red silicon is a good additional sealant to apply to gasket.

This information and was copied and pasted from the website below. The information is wrong in terms of changing plugs on a RAV-4 from 1996 to 2001. Note the information is correct in changing plugs on a RAV-4 that is a 2002 and up

Answers.com - How do you change the spark plugs on a 1996-2002 Rav4

you have black plastic air filter container sitting on top of valve cover.

No you don’t. Still more wrong information. The air box (aka plastic air filter container) connects to the throttle body via a rubber tube. The air box holds the air filter and is located more towards the left front of the truck. On a 2001 Toyota RAV-4, THERE IS NOTHING SITTING ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER.

it's not V6, so no air intake manifold there.

It could never be a V-6. If it was it would be greater miracle than Moses parting the sea. Why? Simple! The one and only engine offered on a RAV-4 in 2001, was a 2.0 EFI DOHC 4 CYLINDER.

it needs to be removed to access ignition packs; ignition packs are
rectangular boxes with wire connectors; spark plugs are deep inside the spark plug wells, at the end of ignition pack. Careful undoing ignition pack harness clips, they snap easy. same time, lubricate plugs with dielectric grease before reinstall; same goes for spark plug tips. New spark plugs thread needs to be coated some with anti seize compound. Not too much, just a narrow strip.

The only thing correct with the above is use of “ANTI SEIZE COMPOUND”.

Replacing the spark plugs on the Rav4 is a bit harder then on many other vehicles. You start by removing the air filter holder.

And the hits just keep on coming! So does the wrong information. There is nothing to remove. The air filter holder, aka air box, aka plastic filter container mentioned above is mounted closer to the left front of the truck, and is in no way blocking any spark plugs. The plugs are accessible through the valve cover after the ignition cables are removed. Refer back to the diagram posted in answer number two. You can follow the instructions in the second post, but just remember that part number 9 is a valve cover and not the intake manifold. To make things even easier I’m posting a picture of the engine in my brothers RAV-4. The four blues wires exiting the top of the valve cover are the ignition wires. The spark plugs are under those blue ignition wires. As you can see there is nothing resting on top of the valve cover. Also the air box that holds the air filter is off to the front left of the truck and out of the way of the spark plugs.

Old 12-02-10, 06:04 PM
MSN Autos - Multimedia Player

counted 10 engine photos for 2001 RAV-4 engine, all have air intake on top of the engine cover:
2001 rav4 engine - Google Search

I'd probably safely say, 2001 engines do have air filter there.

the other engine looks like gen 1 engine, 1994 - 2000. i am not sure, when exactly they changed from gen 1 to gen 2; it might still have been on a car made in late 2000, hence marketed as 2001 model.

oh, and 2nd gen had 3 engines offered, not just 1. :NO NO NO:

Old 12-02-10, 06:32 PM
sorry to be that way, but i got this stuck in me.

here's Haynes repair manual for RAV4 - guess what, air filter is on top of the valve cover:

Amazon.com: Toyota RAV4 1996 thru 2005: All models (Haynes Techbook) (9781563926952): Max Haynes, Ken Freund

and guess what - apparently, it does have ignition packs!!

2001 toyota rav4 ignition pack - Google Search

not wires from distributor. ignition packs. most likely 4 of them.

somehow, i do not think i was much off. unless the original poster does have 1st gen engine without air filter box there and with distributor and clearly visible spark plug wires. but then again, i do not think he will be asking, where the hell the spark plugs are, then?? as they are either covered by that air filter box, or, on later models, by plastic cosmetic cover that Toyota so much likes to cover their engines with.

Old 12-02-10, 07:37 PM
E
ukrbyk & Diane 1--
Thanks for all the comments, pictures and links. I tried to both insert and copy/paste a picture of my RAV4 engine, but was unsuccessful at it. Diane 1, my RAV4 engine looks different from the picture you posted, as it does appear the air filter, encased in black plastic, sits over the valve cover. How did you manage to post the picture? I tried to insert by clicking on the 'Insert image' icon, expecting it to direct me to browsing, but instead ending up in this text box. Then I tried copying and pasting, but it didn't paste into this text box either.

There are a number of wires which appear to be connecting to spark plugs-looking like stubs, but they are obvious, not in holes (as ukrbyk states), leading me to suspect they may be oxygen sensors.

Thanks,
EDTA

Old 12-03-10, 11:07 AM
D
Oh my Lord and the hits just keep on coming.

EDTA,

Did you buy your RAV-4 new or used? If bought used were you made aware of an engine swap or the need for an engine swap? Swinging a second generation RAV-4 engine into a first generation chassis (or visa versa) for whatever reason is just a walk through the park on a sunny day. Before this goes any further, I want you to know that you just can’t go to Google, type in 2001 RAV-4 engine and do a search. You’ll end up with a three ring circus of inaccurate information like the information that has already been posted. Also repair manuals have been known to be wrong countless times. Forget about your trucks vin, registration, title, production month and production year. First generation RAV-4’s used only one engine. Second generation used three. In special applications concerning regions a diesel engine was available. Is it possible that the engine in your truck and you failed to state that? All engines appear below. Study the images carefully and tell us which engine you have? Sorry but I don’t have an image of the 1AZ-FSE to post. For that you could try Google for a match. If you find a match let us know.

3S-FE
1AZ-FE
2AZ-FE
1AZ-FSE

http://www.attarco.com/images/3SFE_L.jpg

3S-FE

Toyota 1az-fe image by 1armchairracer on Photobucket

1AZ-FE

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...engine_001.JPG

2AZ-FE

If you try to copy and paste a photo you have taken online you will only end up with the computer language (that when interpreted correctly) will equal that photo. You won’t end up with the actual photo. To post the actual photo you have to first save the photo to an online service that provides forum postings. Click on the link below for the one I use.

Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: