'95 Ford F150 ABS fuse keeps blowing

Old 11-30-10, 09:23 PM
'95 Ford F150 ABS fuse keeps blowing

1995 Ford F-150, 2wd, V8, with tow package; no conversion or aftermarket
After getting locked out of shifting from park to reverse and the ABS idiot light flashing 15 times, I discovered the 13th circuit/fuse was blown. I found the wiring harness at the female trailer recepticle are completey frayed, unsheathed, green and broken. So I broke the two connectors that feed this recepticle (behind the rear bumper) but the fuse keeps blowing. This fuse drives the following:
-Anti-lock brakes
-Brake shift interlock
-Electronic engine control
-Speed control
-Stop/hazard lamps
-Stop sense for electronic engine control
Questions:
1. Could a fuse/relay be bad at the power distribution box that feeds the fuse panel?
2. I checked the 'fuse panel side' of the two aforementioned connectors for shorts/debris/etc. but found nothing. Could the massive wiring issue near the trailer receptacle have fused something shut between these two connectors and the panel?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-10, 08:03 AM
have you looked at the pressure switch at the front of the master cylinder?
it is known for leaking brake fluid in to the wiring connector-& causes problems/fires
(the same as the recall)

Old 12-01-10, 08:25 AM
I recall a recall...That's were brake activation shuts down speed control. I'll take a look, but I doubt that is the issue. And the reservoir is still full.

Old 12-03-10, 06:19 AM
Good call Newtofta! I took a closer look at the passenger side of that switch and realized that a chunk of it was missing. It had partially burnt/melted and was totally fried on the inside. When I went to disconnect the male from the female socket, they both just broke right off in my hand. so I just pulled the wires out of what was left, isolated and insulated and taped them off to the side. I know the dealership will fix the issue due to the recall.

Old 12-03-10, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A recall? Thatís good to know. Can someone post it or post the recall number? One of my friends just had the same fuse blowing problem on a 93 F150. Drove him nuts so he brought it to me. I ended up doing a complete rewiring job and replacing the 7 way 4 way.