2002 Monte Carlo Stuck Accelerator

Old 12-01-10, 05:59 PM
2002 Monte Carlo Stuck Accelerator

My throttle stuck today and scared the begeezies outta me!!! Yes, I did "punch it" - I had a tailgater and wanted to rid of them so..... I punched it, but I couldn't slow down and the brakes wouldn't work either. Was NOT a good position to be in, luckily I punched it AFTER the S-curve and not prior. I tapped gas pedal few times and it calmed down nuff for me to have my brakes back, but when I accelerated as normal, it stuck again and my brakes were again inoperable. So I tapped gas again a few times and regained use of my brakes. I don't think my throttle ever went back to normal as it was idling at 1.3 on the rpm. Can anyone please help me? I need to take my three grands to their schools tomorrow and I admit I'm a wee bit scared i might run someone over
thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-10, 06:47 PM
Is your gas pedal a "fly by wire" electronic system or a cable?
Why would your brakes not work?
Are you sure you aren't driving a Toyota?

Old 12-01-10, 07:22 PM
1. take air intake off the throttle body and clean pintle valve and surrounding; use toothbrush for hard to reach areas; brake cleaner spray works well; let it sit thereafter for maybe 10 minutes for vapors to go away.
2. i had same situation several times on my infamous Ford Taurus; it will accelerate by itself; brakes had to be jammed to slow it down; turned out to be bad idle control unit, which was a solenoid type device controlling pintle valve.
3. if possible, take your throttle control cable out of housing and lubricate it with Vaseline; if you can't take it out completely, at least, disconnect from throttle lift it up vertical into the air, put ample amount of vaseline onto cable, and run heat gun or hair dresser on hot to melt it so that it sips down along the cable.
4. of course, basic things like checking carpet/mats. i had Ranger that had gas pedal jammed by poorly trimmed floor mat.

please, give Toyota a break.

Old 12-01-10, 07:37 PM
Thank You Ukrbyk

Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
1. take air intake off the throttle body and clean pintle valve and surrounding; use toothbrush for hard to reach areas; brake cleaner spray works well; let it sit thereafter for maybe 10 minutes for vapors to go away.
2. i had same situation several times on my infamous Ford Taurus; it will accelerate by itself; brakes had to be jammed to slow it down; turned out to be bad idle control unit, which was a solenoid type device controlling pintle valve.
3. if possible, take your throttle control cable out of housing and lubricate it with Vaseline; if you can't take it out completely, at least, disconnect from throttle lift it up vertical into the air, put ample amount of vaseline onto cable, and run heat gun or hair dresser on hot to melt it so that it sips down along the cable.
4. of course, basic things like checking carpet/mats. i had Ranger that had gas pedal jammed by poorly trimmed floor mat.

please, give Toyota a break.
Thanks so much for all this advise, I will do what I can. I can research what the pintle valve looks like, that will help me do this. thanks again -

Old 12-02-10, 05:38 PM
where your air intake hose is connected to the engine, there's cubical "box" with large "hole" for air to come in; this is your throttle body.
your accelerator cable is connected to the same device, usually half-moon shaped piece; this piece transfers cable movement to the round piece of metal that blocks air coming into throttle body - engine. that round piece is your pintle valve, also known as butterfly valve, due to vague resemblance to a butterfly.

pintle valves have tendency to accumulate soot and tar around the edge. on some cars it's a major pain, some have none of this problem through hundreds of thousands of miles. have no idea. you want to grab the half moon gas pedal cable attachment and find out which way it moves, or simply pull on the cable. be prepared, it's spring loaded and sometimes takes fair effort to move. watch pintle valve move same time.

release pintle valve, and spray it liberally with brake cleaner; wipe it all off; open pintle valve half way, and spray cleaner onto the black circle of tar, left by valve edge; wipe it all clean; open valve completely, spray everywhere you can reach, wipe it all off. it is hard to spray the "ceiling" of throttle body intake; take a toothbrush, soak in cleaner, open pintle valve fully, and brush out any dirt and tar there.

after done, take a rag and jam valve open, so that vapors evaporate well. if you do not do this, and reinstall air hose right away and try to start the engine, you'll choke the engine. so, give it about 10-20 minutes for vapors to go away.

there's a very strong cleaner, M2 or something like this, stay away from it. it cleans, yes, but chokes engines like crazy. like i said, brake cleaner is cheap and very sufficient cleaner. or carb cleaner. same difference.

Old 12-04-10, 10:01 AM
Old 12-04-10, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have found countless inconsistencies with GM tsbís and recalls. Although retired Iím still fairly active. By inconsistencies I mean tsb application, vin numbers, models, and years. As an example, about three years ago I used a tsb for a 2003 impala to resolve an inaccurate fuel gauge problem in a 2005 Impala. Although your Malibu is a 2002 you should still investigate the recall below. Remember recalls are free. The phone numbers to call are free. This means you have nothing to loose and possibly everything to gain. Call the toll free number shown on the recall. Talk to a customer service agent. Explain the issue with your sticking acceralator. Let the agent tell you if you are or arenít entitled to the recall. If you are have the agent mail or fax you a confirmation for the recall. Then go to a dealer with the confirmation.

Chevrolet Recall Campaign 04V528000 VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL | AutoMD

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-05-10 at 08:45 AM. Reason: No bashing in the Forums
Old 12-04-10, 05:08 PM
OK......PET PEEVE TIME.....

Yes recalls are free for the life of the vehicle....And yes..Customer Service reps can issue a Confirmation......Absolutely..........

TSB's beyond the warranty period for the specific system are NOT free, and are under the technicians discretion as to whether or not the bulletin applies to the specific Vehicle, And/or symptom the tech is faced with in his service bay.

2 instances come to mind....Both from the last 24 hours.

Chrysler Corp has issued a recall, to install a relay package, and software update to address an issue with the possibility of Over loaded Windshield wiper driver Ckts on 07-08 Dodge Nitro, and 07 Jeep Comander.

The procedure is relatively straight forward, And is usually done in under an hour.
This particular vehicle came to the shop, with a Confirmation notice from Chrysler to perform the recall. The purchasing dealer refused her service, due to the wipers being inoperable prior to Entry. The cause of the inop wipers was a failed wiper motor, and evidence of bent wiper arms, likely from operating the wipers in frozen condition. Vehicle has 70k, Basic warranty was 3/36. Customer refused to repair wiper motor at that time.

I performed the recall as per svc information. Wipers remain inop after recall performed.

WHO PAYS FOR THE WIPER MOTOR REPLACEMENT AND WHY??

Old 12-04-10, 06:56 PM
In my opinion, the motor replacement is responsibility of the vehicle owner because it is not directly addressed and to be replaced in the directive of the recall. The recall simply covers the relay package and related software update.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-05-10 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire previous post.