tires

Old 12-02-10, 02:26 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
tires

I got a quote from Sears Automotive for four tires for my Corolla.
Tires $311 Bridgestone BSwthFRC+
alignment $75
balance $53
Valves $12
environmetal $4
Disposal $8
brake eval $15
The other tire was a falcon for $284.
I wonder if Sam's club or another idea might be better.

Old 12-02-10, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Although that seems a pretty fair price...Sears might be one of the most expensive places you can go. Falcon is a pretty good (as in smaller) brand...I've known plenty who used them. But was that $311 vs 284 with all other charges staying the same? Go with the Bridgestones if so.

Oh...and the brake check is probably not needed or should be included....I wouldn't pay for it at your mileage.

I forget if you mentioned in the other thread...is there a reason why they need replaced?

Old 12-02-10, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I just got tires on my service truck from Tires plus (which I see they have stores in MD) Firestone's 225/75/16E
Tires $150
Alignment check was free
disposal $12
balance $12
Valve stems free
Haz mat $3

I say shop around more.

Old 12-03-10, 07:01 AM
P
tires

I checked the tires and they should be replaced as I live in Maryland just 20" north of DC.
I do a lot of in town driving so I thought a look at the brakes would be a good idea.
There were a couple of times when we bumbed a curb so alignment would be a good idea rather than wearing the tires down.
It is expensive near the nation's capitol.
I am going to try Just Tires and Mr. Tire.
I'll try to compare apples for apples and not pay for unecessary services.
Thanx guys

Old 12-03-10, 03:18 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
peterr,

You haven’t asked enough questions. Doing so leaves you wide open to a rip-off. First off is why the alignment? You should know that replacing tires is not reason enough for an alignment. Second is any reputable decent shop is not going to charge for balancing and valves. Switching back to the alignment, is the thread wear on your tires uneven? Do you have to hold the steering wheel off center to keep the car going straight? Do get a feeling like the car is drifting and you have no control? Is the car pulling to one side?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-05-10 at 08:53 AM. Reason: No bashing in the forums
Old 12-04-10, 04:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
tires

I was shopping for a set of Michelins, sears had them much cheaper than reg dealer. I bought them and didn't get near the milage I should have. Mich. dealer said the tires that sears gets is not the same tire that a dealer sells. My expeirence bears this out. Sometime its hard to get apples and apples.

Old 12-04-10, 05:49 AM
P
tires

There is no big O around here but I am listening to your advice.
Also, I thought Michelin was just that and it seems illegal that an inferior tire can be sold as the real deal.
I'm glad I haven't decided yet and have some more pricing etc to do.

Old 12-04-10, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I can't say for sure, I bet it's like some of the tools for sale at a big box - lower price and looks like it's more expensive cousin but if you check closely, the model # is slightly different from the better tool.

Old 12-04-10, 07:24 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by retired wrench
I was shopping for a set of Michelins, sears had them much cheaper than reg dealer. I bought them and didn't get near the milage I should have. Mich. dealer said the tires that sears gets is not the same tire that a dealer sells. My expeirence bears this out. Sometime its hard to get apples and apples.
I have heard the same thing about name brand tires sold at both Wal Mart and Sam's Club, but I don't buy it. If it's a name brand tire, any name brand tire dealer (same brand) has to honor the warranty. My own experience with BFG Long Trail TA tires from Sam's Club is very good.

Old 12-04-10, 07:27 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
While I can't say for sure, I bet it's like some of the tools for sale at a big box - lower price and looks like it's more expensive cousin but if you check closely, the model # is slightly different from the better tool.
While this is definitely true on faucets from the big box, some appliances and some power tools, if the model number is identical, it's the same item.

Old 12-04-10, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Exactly my thoughts Joe. If the UPC and/or model number are EXACTLY the same..then it's the same thing. SKUs are assigned by stores.

No way a manufacturer (well, seems to me anyway) will produce 2 things with the same numbers....how could they ever track everything for warranty, recalls, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: