best gasket sealer to use on thermostat housing

Old 12-02-10, 07:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best gasket sealer to use on thermostat housing

simple one here.. have a new gasket put on in spring and have a leak now from the thermostat housing. Picked up a new felpro gasket and was wondering what would be the best sealer to use with this?

1990 Chevy 305 PU. Yeah this is the one where I changed the thermo last winter and broke off both bolts into the aluminum manifold. Had to get a manifold from u pull it this spring and its leaking now. Cant remember if I used any type of sealer on it. Might have been a bit afraid to tighten it down to much also.

Have to do it tomorrow as the weather is making a big change ... or get my son to do it Thanks much

Old 12-02-10, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I have never used sealer on any part unless recommended in the insructions. Should never be needed. But some swear by them.

Mike NJ

Old 12-02-10, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I usually use the blue RTV sealant. Works good around thermostat housings. You could use red too but I believe that's for areas that may be exposed to gasoline.

Old 12-03-10, 03:32 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I never use any sealer. None is necessary. Since it's leaking are you sure you didn’t crack the thermostat housing?

Old 12-03-10, 06:35 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Had to get a manifold from u pull it this spring and its leaking now

what exactly does this mean?

personally, staying away from cork gaskets. felpro is the most "cost efficient" gasket maker, right?
anyhow, i am afraid you have a scratch or a nix on the gasket seat. or just a sheatty gasket, happens. they do not like being overtightened, btw. break at he holes edges.
blue one is generally ok. red one is considered more oil and temp resistant. both take about 1 hr to cure. you could use what they use for head gaskets. copper spray, or some like that. and easy on "elbow torque", they seriously do not like being overtightened.

if you can, get flat file on the gasket seat and file it flat. check with square. honestly, you either overtorqued it or nixed seat. mechanical damage.

Old 12-03-10, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To ukrbyk: U Pull it would be a salvage/junk yard. He got a manifold from there.

Old 12-04-10, 12:21 AM
Thanks all for the notes.

Yes U Pull IT is a salvage yard. Comes in very handy at times... depends on what you need, year etc. Also how fast you are at times

When I took it apart it looked as I might have used a Tiny bit of sealer last time on just one side.. that is odd...maybe I messed up or maybe working with my son we both thought the other did it. Most likely Permatex RTV blue as I have some at home. Shouldn't need it though.

The Felpro gasket I got was a very good one.. I think. Cleaned it very well, tried to check for a scrape or other and couldn't find anything. Put it back together without any sealer and torqued the bolts to specs. 21 and it leaked again right away.

Took it apart, got a new gasket from O'reilly this time and picked up some VersaChem Mega Blue RTV sealant. There are a few differences from the Permatex RTV. I put a layer on the intake manifold and on the housing waited the ten minutes as directions said and put the gasket on and torqued back down... took it to 25 though...... and left it. Will finish in the next couple days as weather and my time permits. Garage burned down so not in to much of a hurry.

Will post when finished. IF it leaks....might have to clean very well and use a bit of JB weld on it first.

Thanks again!

Old 12-04-10, 08:21 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
gotcha! yeah, they won't let you in with toolbox here, inside junkyards. used to be a freebie haven, but they caught on us, fast handers.

i firmly believe that gaskets can not be re-used. give it few days, material hardens, and that's it. or tiny layers peel off when it's being removed. metal gaskets are different animal, not cork or rubber or mix ones.

sorry, bud, sounds like you have heck of bad times there, with garage and all this, multiplied by winter time.

you know you use jb weld, you'll f-up the whole area? it's kinked somewhere. if you can't get file to it, find a wheel for bench grinder, break it in a half or so, maybe quarters, so that you can have more manageable, yet still flat piece of material you can level the gasket seat with. something somewhere is warped. but then again, they put pans on using sealants only nowadays, and they hold, so maybe that one you used will do the trick.

Old 12-10-10, 11:34 PM
Just a quick finishing note. It sealed up real well no leaks.

To ukrbyk -- I wrote that line to fast, didnt mean for it to appear that I was going to reuse a gasket. When I said cleaned it very well I was talking about the housing and manifold. Was only going to use JB Weld if I found a scratch or low spot. You can put it on and scrape a razor blade across the surface and it will fill only the "void". Also on the U Pull It and being fast..... cause the parts can go fast. We can bring in almost any tools we want.. you have to leave a drivers license for a sawzall, but no grinders anymore. They have a policeman at the door to help check all your tools and boxes when you leave.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: